Love Through A Lens

Love Through A Lens

An interpretation by an aspiring photographer and writer.

10
Carly Madden

What does "love" mean to you? This is a hard question to answer in only a few words. To me, it means knowing someone so deeply that you want to share your life with them, whether it be for only a few months or for your entire life. Being in love is basically choosing one person and deciding you want to walk alongside them during every obstacle life throws at them. That’s pretty cool if you think about it.

Being in love is one of the best feelings in the world. It’s as if everything is right in the world, and even when it’s not, there is someone there to comfort and help you on a level that no one else can. That person shares your happiness, your sadness, your excitement, and your despair. They literally share your life with you.

As young people, it’s rare that we will be constantly in this state of bliss brought on by being in love. However, during those times when we take a break from romance, we can still grasp onto a small part of this feeling when we look at other couples in our lives. This past week, I had the pleasure of meeting two amazing couples that brought me so much joy to observe. Simply the way they talked to each other brought warmth to my heart, which had previously been dusted with a thin layer of frost.

As a young photographer and writer, I really wanted to capture the essence of Valentine’s Day and love itself. So, with the help of these couples, I was able to do just that. Upon editing the hundreds of pictures we took during each photo shoot, I began to think about what makes a great relationship. Ten intangible objects really stuck out to me as the most important aspects of love. They fully capture what it’s all about and how you know that you have fallen so deeply in love with another person.

Joy

If you’re not happy in a relationship, there is absolutely no reason to stay in it. When you meet the right person, they should make you happier than anyone else in the world. Simply seeing them from across the room will make your day brighter. Spending time with them will improve your mood the majority of the time. Joy is one of the things that makes life great, so I can’t imagine why anyone wouldn’t want it in their relationship.

Communication

The majority of people would claim that communication is key in any relationship. It’s very important that the two people talk. This can be interpreted in pretty much any way imaginable. You should talk about your day, your family, your likes, your dislikes, your problems, your concerns. Talk about anything and everything. When you understand each other on an intellectual level, that just makes everything so much better.

Pride

Success coming to one person should be seen as an accomplishment for both. Anytime one person succeeds, the other should feel immense pride. You’ve spent all this time getting to know them, so when they accomplish anything, whether it be big or small, that excitement should be shared.

Trust

When you are sharing everything about your life with another person, you want to trust them completely. Establishing this early on and maintaining it is important to how close the two of you become. Being trustworthy is a great characteristic to strive for.

Fun

It’s so important to keep things interesting and do crazy things together! If you’re having fun together, you will grow closer. The fun times will be the ones you remember the most vividly in the future and make you look back fondly on the relationship.

Inspiration

When in a relationship, your significant other should bring out the best possible version of you. They will inspire you to become a better person, to do great things, to do what you love, and to just be as happy as humanly possible. They will give you a taste of what living a great life is like, so naturally you will begin to strive to make it even better.

Serenity

There is nothing more peaceful than lying down with your lover. There is nothing more peaceful than sharing stories with your lover. There is nothing more peaceful than dancing with your lover. Bottom line is, the serenity that accompanies a healthy relationship makes all of the stresses of the world lift off your shoulders, even if only for a few moments. Their arms will become your solace.

Compassion

Being there for each other is extremely important. Chances are, when something bad happens in one person’s life, they will turn to their significant other for comfort. Sometimes you just need a long, warm hug, so it’s nice to have someone to turn to. After taking this photo of Brianna and Nick, I asked them what they missed the most about eachother after parting ways. Brianna answered with, “I like just always having someone to hug.”

Intimacy

Physical contact is an aspect of any relationship that takes it to the next level. Any type of contact improves those relations and trust, so that gentle touch is a comforting way to show and receive care and love.

Friendship

Your significant other should be your best friend. Who would want it any other way? If you’re spending all this time with another person, you’ll want to be able to act goofy, laugh, cry, be serious, and feel safe. You will want you be yourself. There’s no better way to accomplish this than by being in love with your best friend.

When all of these pieces finally fit together, whether it be after only a few months of being together or years later, the reward will be absolutely incredible. I saw so much love and affection within these two couples, and it’s amazing to me that even at such a young age, emotions like these are possible. Love is one of those great mysteries of life, but no one really questions it or even wants to. It’s something that everyone longs for, and when they do have it, they grasp onto it as if it’s the only thing keeping them afloat in the stormy ocean that is our society. When you’re lucky enough to have all of these feelings for one person, do yourself a favor and savor it. Take in each moment like it’s the last and do everything in your power to keep it from capsizing. The result will be bliss.

To close this very sappy article I’m going to leave you with one of my favorite quotes from one of my favorite movies: “The greatest thing you’ll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.” -Moulin Rouge.

All photos taken by Always Photogenic (AKA me.) If you'd like to see more pictures taken of these two couples as well as tons of other fun stuff, please follow me on Instagram @always_photogenic and like my Facebook page!

Special thanks to the models who volunteered for this photo-shoot:

Anh & Zhi

Brianna & Nick