Why I Love to Teach

Why I Love to Teach

How the kids teach me just as much as I teach them

19
Why I Love to Teach
US News

I've always loved kids. I started babysitting my siblings when I was 8, and I started getting paid just a few years later. I've worked with kids of all ages, and I never got tired of it. So when a position opened for a substitute teacher at pre-schools all around the St. Louis area, I jumped at it. Six months later, I absolutely love my job. Taking care of the kids doesn't seem like work, and they teach me just as much as I teach them.

1. They're always learning

When you watch a baby stand up for the first time and then slowly work out how to sit back down, or when you watch a toddler methodically turn puzzle pieces until they find what works, it is hard to not be in awe. Their little brains are processing so much information and growing so quickly. Every fall, every step, every word helps them learn and grow from infancy to adulthood. That's simply magical.

3. They love each other's differences

The kids I work with are from over 50 different countries. Some speak English, some don't. Just recently, I had a one-year-old girl sit patiently with me as she tried to show me how you answer the phone in Russian. The same day, I showed a little boy how to spell his name in sign language and watched as he showed three other kids how to do the same thing. When I come into a new classroom, I usually have several kids run up to me and tell me about their families. This almost always turns into the children having conversations with each other about the differences their individual families have. Kids love to explore each other's similarities and differences, and adults could learn from them.

4. They can tune in to other's feelings

The teachers I've worked with do a lot with feeling words. When one child hurts another, they work with him or her to check on how the other child feels. One classroom I have worked in has a "peace corner" where kids go voluntarily or by request to work out any disagreements they have with other children. Watching two four-year-olds having a peaceful conversation that ends in a hug was one of the best experiences I've had at my job. As children grow, you see them begin to label their feelings and translate those to empathy. When they see that someone else is sad, they will do everything they can to make them feel better.

5. They're hilarious

If you're having a bad day, listen to a toddler tell you a joke. Or play dinosaurs with a child. They'll get such a kick out of making the biggest roar they can. Everyday conversations can be completely hilarious as kids learn how conversation works.

6. They can turn your day around

No amount of dirty diapers and fussy infants can compare to the feeling of holding a sleeping baby in your arms. There is no greater feeling of peace than watching a child's eyes droop as they hold your finger and stare into your eyes.On the other end of the spectrum, no smile is more contagious than that of a happy baby. When an infant looks at you and giggles, try not to smile back. It's almost impossible. Babies love to smile. When you smile back, they learn that their actions have an impact on someone else. And that impact can be pretty staggering.

7. They make you think

Every parent dreads the "Why Stage" where every child just wants to know one thing: Why? Why do birds fly? Why is grass green? Why is your hair brown? For teachers and parents, this can be an incredible challenge. You now have to find answers to questions you had never thought about. Little kids won't accept a simple, "because it is". You better have an answer ready, and be prepared for another "Why?".

I know some days are hard for all teachers and parents. Some days make you wonder why you're in this field. But every teacher has different reasons for loving their work. Every teacher has little moments that make it all worth it. Enjoy those moments. Watch the kids grow up with a smile on your face, and know that you had a hand in molding the little people that play before you.