"Love, Rosie": Who Said Romance Novels Can't Be Realistic?

A book recommendation for hopeless romantics who are also realists.

51
Linda Nogueras

If you are not a fan of romanticism, wit, sarcasm, and plot twists, maybe this book isn't for you. “Love, Rosie,” written by Cecelia Ahern, originally published in 2004 and made into a motion picture in 2014, is a story meant for hopeless romantics that still hold on a bit to what reality is like. It emphasizes that while you might have found your one true love, “happily ever after” is not a straight, smooth road towards the end everybody wants. I believe this is why this book is so special: it doesn't disguise how hard it could be to find love, it doesn't disguise how hard it can be to get over somebody, it doesn't disguise the little things in life that make love an adventure.

The narrative for this book is also a bit different: it presents snippets of letters, e-mails, and chats between the characters which narrates the whole story. You get a sense of each character's personality and feelings through these writings between them. You will find it easy to connect with at least one character, and see yourself in the situations they are living. It presents the complexity of love through the eyes of people who are living through it all. Sometimes it hits you with sudden plot twists, sometimes it hits you with impossible situations and, if you watched the movie before reading the book (like I did) you'll find yourself surprised with the amount of changes and the things ignored in the movie that, really, shouldn't have been.

If you're looking for a lighthearted, easy read, full of humor, feelings, and a bit of things any of us might experience at least once in life, this is the book for you.