9 Reasons I Love Having An Older Brother

Being a little sister definitely has its perks.

705
Rachel Wong

People always ask me if I like having an older brother. For as long as I could remember, my brother and I never really had major issues with one another. Yes, sometimes we would fight, but for the most part, we always got along. I never felt like I wanted to have a sister instead, so when people asked if I liked having an older brother I would always reply yes.

Here are a few reasons why as a younger sister I love having a brother that is older than me.

1. I have had someone to make mistakes before me

I'm not saying I am a perfect child, but I can definitely say that my brother has made some pretty big mistakes before me. This teaches me what not to do as well as shows me what happens if I happen to make the same mistakes.

2. He helped me with homework when I was younger

My brother is a very patient person and would always help me with math homework when I was younger. He also would read over different pieces that I wrote and continues to help me when currently applying to jobs.

3. He doesn't steal my clothes

This is one of the main reasons why I am happy I don't have a sister. So many of my friends have complained about having their clothes stolen, and I am happy to say that this has not been the case with my brother.

5. He gives me good advice

It is always helpful to get advice about boys from an actual boy himself. He always gives me super insightful and realistic advice even if it pertains to other subjects like jobs and school.

6. He drives me places because I'm his little sister

Using the fact that I am his "little sister" as an excuse with my parents always seems to work. This especially works when I ask him to drive me and my friends somewhere.

7. He is protective over me in a good way

I used to hate how protective he was because I thought it was just him being annoying. However, I have definitely grown to appreciate it and know that when a brother is protective over his little sister he does it because he cares about her.

8. He teaches me to be a better person

This is definitely true whether you have a brother or a sister. My brother always gives solid advice, like I said, but he always is a good role-model in terms of teaching me how to be a good person and be the best that I can be.

9. Our relationship is refreshing

I am super close with my mom and spend a lot of time with my friends that are girls. Having a brother is definitely refreshing because you can get a break from all of the estrogen and just chill out. Even when I just call my brother to briefly catch up it is a nice break and I realize how much I really appreciate him.