A Love Letter To Band

A Love Letter To Band

"You have taught me what it means to work as a team."

47
A Love Letter To Band

Dear Band,

When I got to college, I quit you. You took up a lot of my time, and I didn’t want to be overwhelmed in my freshman year. I’m not sure why I thought that I could just leave you behind so easily, I wasn’t even remotely aware of how much I would miss you.

You are where “my people” are, and I know that sounds cheesy, but it’s the truth. Starting over somewhere new is all about finding your people, because it’s where you’ll feel loved and important. For some people that’s sports, for others it’s Greek life, and for others it’s clubs. For me, it’s you.

After my first semester of college, I decided that I couldn’t go another semester without you. My first week with you and I already felt a hundred times happier than I had first semester.

Despite not having been with you in the fall, my section welcomed me and made me feel like I had always been there. In fact, I had such a good experience that I made the decision to march in the fall.

This is crazy, especially coming from a girl who didn’t used to be able to march on the beat (if you tracked down my freshman section leaders, they will tell you that they yelled “left, left!” many a times). I almost quit you my freshman year because I hated marching so much. Talk about ironic.

You aren’t easy for me. I cannot for the life of me read rhythm. I play almost everything completely by ear. I’m not the best at reading marching drill. I get anxious performing in front of people. Despite all this, I was a section leader my senior year of high school. It was one of the best experiences I could have ever asked for. It gave me so much confidence.

Without you, I honestly do not know where I would be. My life would be completely different. I can’t thank you enough for always being there for me when I needed it the most.

I love you. You have given me some of my best friends. You have given me a family. You have given me the greatest joy and the greatest sadness.

Not only are you the best at giving me things to be thankful for, but you also one of the best teachers I ever had.

You have taught me what it means to work as team. You have taught me how to be a leader. You have taught me to never give up.

Love,

A Forever Band Kid