Why 'Love Is Love' Is An Important Affirmation
relationships

'Love Is Love’ Is For LGBTQ+ Affirmation, Not Your Slogan For Dating Across Party Lines

In honor of all pride, you need to sit down, sweetie.

770

I see articles on Odyssey all the time. Some of them are in-depth articles about important political standpoints, others about family, music and relationships.

Recently, I saw an article that made me very confused.

Someone had written: "Stop saying 'love is love' if you're just going to judge me for dating a Republican." I'm paraphrasing, of course, however, this article genuinely pissed me off.

Regardless of the author writing about her liberal point of view, she still used the "love is love" statement as a base for her argument.

The "love is love" statement is sacred among the LGBTQ+ Community and advocates for the legitimacy of love between two people, regardless of sexual orientation or gender.

I understand that in this time of political turmoil, people would question why a Democrat would date a Republican, but this is not what "love is love" was created for. People's political views are beliefs and some can be very adamant about them. In 2018, the separation between Republicans and Democrats is very clear.

Political views are a testy subject nowadays, but a Democrat and a Republican dating are not at the same level of controversy as an LGBTQ+ couple.

LGBTQ+ individuals aren't just having beliefs. They are living their lives just as anyone else is, with more restrictions and fewer rights than any straight person, especially in this country.

I don't think anyone in the community would appreciate someone using the "love is love" statement for something as simple as two people from different political parties dating one another. "Love is love" is a statement of empowerment for the people of the LGBTQ+ community.

As an advocate for "love is love" and LGBTQ+ pride, I believe there's more to the statement that this person was attempting. Respect those who truly struggle with their relationships being heavily criticized and rejected.