The Love/Hate Relationship With Social Media We All Have Endured

Social media is an amazing tool, but it's really the face to face interaction that makes a long-term impact.

45
PC MAG MIDDLE EAST

For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction, plus a social media reaction.

Dear Social Media,

Not only are you the longest relationship I have been involved in, but you’re the most complicated one I’ve ever endured. Complicated in the sense that there are days I am so thankful you’re everywhere, then there are the days I wish you never existed in my life. I guess it depends on what exactly you’re delivering, and the mood it puts me in. I know you make your rounds in other people’s lives, and if they’re anything like me, they too have a love/hate relationship with you! I’m sorry that I have such a strong opinion about you, but I’m not sorry that if you left my life for good, I wouldn’t be fully heartbroken. Maybe just a tad heartbroken. But it’s hard to fully love something that seems to have it out for you at times.

Like I said, it’s a love/hate kind of thing we have going on. There are certainly things I love about our relationship, like the fact that at the edge of my fingertips I can find out what’s going on in a matter of seconds. You also notify me of any world news. In today’s day of age, there’s always something tragic going on in the world. Not that I enjoy getting that kind of news on my phone, you never let me down to letting me know. You provide me with the usual social platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. I’m thankful for those platforms, and you, because it allows me to stay connected to the world. I’m given the opportunity to stay connected to the people who I may have grown up with, and no longer live near. Or stay connected to family in such a genuine way. Using you makes it that much easier to advertise. Whether it’s for marketing, business, or personal use. Having you at my fingertips makes life that much easier. If I'm going to be as involved with social media like I am, maybe I can at least put it to good use, and try to make a difference!

Because of you, social media, you have plowed the path of the twenty-first century for many people. Everywhere you go, almost everyone has a phone in their hand. If it’s not a phone, it’s a tablet. You connect us to the world. This can be viewed as a blessing and a curse. You bless us with easy access to almost anything, but you also rip us of living in the moment.

I guess this is where I rant about the downfall of our relationship, and the hatred I have for you. I am guilty of being glued to my phone. Ask anyone and they will tell you that my phone is always within reach. Only in a blue moon will I tuck my phone away for a day or two, to experience life. I know, that’s not a healthy lifestyle to uphold, but what can I say? I’ve been swallowed up by this electronic generation. It’s hard to comprehend the way of living when it’s through a screen. People are focused more on how many likes they get on an Instagram picture than just living in that moment of time. Are you truly living life to the fullest if you’re constantly looking up the latest gossip? Is it really that important to share your whole life story through Twitter? Maybe I hate you, social media, because you have all this power, and you force change upon me.

You hold the reins in this relationship. You’re like a drug that I’m addicted to. I feel like if I don’t check any of my social media accounts every hour, I’ll be out of the loop. I truly hate you for that. You’re a bad habit that I can’t seem to fully break. Not only do you have me addicted, but you can at times cause strain on friendships, or relationships. I know there are girls out there who may stalk their boyfriends Instagram’s, or Snapchat. Guys are just as guilty as this too. You, social media replace nothing but compliment everything. Maybe we all, myself included should stop turning to social media to tell our stories, and just be human, and tell them in person, not through a screen.

Online is old news. Online is social media in today’s news. Social media is not a subset of the internet. Social media is the internet.

This isn’t laid out there as me picking a side or not. It’s me expressing how I feel. You are in my life, and I have a feeling you will be for a long time. So it’s important that you know the influence you hold against me, as well as, the other lives you may be involved with.

Sincerely,

A Girl Glued To Her Phone