Why We Don't Deserve Dogs

Why We Don't Deserve Dogs

Some angels choose fur instead of wings...

3211
Why We Don't Deserve Dogs
Google

I’m going to make a bet right now and argue that you haven’t met more than one person who doesn't like dogs. If you have, then you need to get some new friends. If you haven’t, then prepare to be enlightened on why people adore dogs so much.

It is often said that on top of the five senses a dog possesses, including its unique ability to pick up on hundreds of thousands of scents, a dog might even have a sixth sense. This sense has to do with the amazing way dogs read people. Think about it: when you come home from a long day of school or work and mope on over to the couch, who comes up next to you and lays their head on your chest? Who barks to keep strangers away and your family protected when he or she feels threatened or identifies your fear? Dogs can sense feelings, problems, and intentions better than most humans. Why? They’re highly instinctual animals, and they have a larger capacity to love, cherish, and protect their owners more than we can imagine.

Dogs may hold the answers to this questionable, confusing, and unpredictable game we call life. There are many reasons why they are such special animals, but there are several things that set them apart from all other four-legged, furry creatures.

Dogs listen.

One of the cool things about having a dog is that you can always count on them to be there for your venting sessions. Notice that when you speak to your pup, it might cock its head, raise its ears, or put its paw on your leg as it tries to understand. Dogs might not care about our petty problems, but they care enough to just sit there and look at you with reassuring, shiny black eyes.

Dogs take loyalty to another level.

If you were to ask a person what matters most to them, most would say their family. Dogs are the same way; they are an integral part of families, and most would do anything to protect those that they love. Many house dogs that sneak out the back gate eventually come home. Some dogs are so well trained that their owners don’t even need to put them on a leash during morning walks and hikes. When you’re home alone, your dog might even sleep by the edge of your bed to make sure you feel safe. I know my big Shiloh always rests by the front door of my house to keep an eye on everything downstairs.

Dogs have hidden healing powers.

Whether you’ve had a bad day or you’ve become ill, dogs have the extraordinary ability to make you feel better with their downright cuteness. Even some funny-looking dogs are somewhat adorable; there is just something about them. Plus, all dogs give us hope and each kiss is a reminder that everything will be ok. Sometimes, that’s all we need.

Dogs might save the world one day.

Dogs are some of the most selfless creatures no matter the situation. Their will to protect and help others makes them more devoted and loyal than a human can imagine being. They are little heroes that help make the world go ‘round.

Dogs remind us to enjoy life and its little pleasures.

Whether it’s a short car ride with the windows down, a walk in the park during the fall, or a little spoonful of peanut butter, dogs remind us that the simple things in life should never be taken for granted.

Dogs don’t hold grudges.

Remember the time you forgot to feed your pooch before you left for work? Or the time you left him outside all night by accident? The good news is that dogs won’t hold your mistakes against you… in fact; they’ll find something else to do in the meantime and then excitedly greet you when they see you next.

Dogs play every day.

Sometimes we get so caught up in our priorities at school, work, or around the home, that we forget to give ourselves a few minutes to just “play.” No matter how old dogs get, they never lose sight of a little adventure.

Dogs remind us to accept ourselves.

For goodness sake, they will lick just about any foot in front of them, no matter the size, color, or smell. Need I say more?

Dogs know how to love unconditionally.

Dogs might not realize that unconditional love is a commitment to an imperfect person, but their capacity to do it anyway is remarkable. And when their time is up, the one thing that will forever be remembered is the love they left behind.