Why I Love Batman Villains

Why I Love Batman Villains

The Best of the Best

97
Why I Love Batman Villains

When I entered college, my Batman obsession escalated quickly and I began learning as much as I could about Batman's universe beyond what I already knew. There were so many villains that I had never heard of, some of whom turned out to be some of my favorites. Of course, everyone knows about Joker and Two-Face. Even Harley Quinn is well-known. But, there are some villains that don't receive their fair share of credit for making Batman's life difficult. Some of my favorites include:

1. Joker

The Joker is one of the most well-known villains, which is why he is the most beloved. His psychotic nature is one of the appealing aspects that attracts fans. His sense of anarchy draws us in to figure out what his next move will be. Heath Ledger's Joker is one of the most popular because he captured him perfectly. I think that I've liked every depiction I've seen, even the cheesy depictions from the 1960's. The only Joker I'm not so crazy about is Jared Leto, unfortunately. As much as I want to like his Joker, I just can't because of the film that he was introduced in. I've also liked the way he is presented in the comics, the multiple animated series, and the games that have come out. Joker is a tough role to handle and I'm glad there are some people in this world who have been able to bring him to life. Batman wouldn't be Batman without Joker.

2. Harley Quinn

She first surfaced in the animated series and has since made it into video games as well as the big screen. Her recent debut in Suicide Squad disappointed me somewhat, like the Joker, but this depiction hasn't swayed me from my love of this female antagonist. She brings charisma and sass to the dark universe that is DC. She is one of my favorite cos-plays and I really enjoy her personality. Her unrequited love for the Joker is one thing that also makes me love her character even more. It's not the ideal relationship, by any means, but it says something about her - she has the ability to stand by the man who has caused her a lot of pain and only wants her love to be received.

3. Poison Ivy

She is my all-time favorite female villain. I love her appearance; all of the vines and leaves make her more erotic, as does the fact that she is practically nude. This appearance makes her relate to nature even more since nudity is a natural form. She doesn't create trouble unless her plants are being attacked; then she gets angry. She is another one of my favorite cos-plays; I have created my own version of her multiple times for Comic Conventions. Her appearance in the animated series made me love her and Harley even more because of their friendship. I even love the way she is depicted in the video games. The only disappointment that Ivy faced from me was from Batman and Robin when she was portrayed by Uma Thurman. I don't know what the director was thinking when they designed Ivy for that movie, but they should've gone a different direction. They should've made her more alluring and sexy because that is part of her character. She is meant to be erotic due to her plant-like nature.

4. The Riddler

The Riddler is one of my favorites, especially the depiction by Jim Carey. I loved the way he portrayed him in Batman Forever because of his erratic nature and the riddles. He was kind of like the Joker in his ability to make people question him, but he was also more playful than that Joker. He wasn't psychotic, which made him a more innocent villain than most. His costume was also amazing; question marks all over his suit equaled brilliance.

5. Two-Face

I was first introduced to Two-Face in the Nolan trilogy with Aaron Eckhart's portrayal. I really enjoyed the concept of Harvey Dent being brought down to a villainous level to prove that the best people can fall depending on certain circumstances. When I finally watched the 1980's Batman films, I was introduced to Tommy Lee Jones's portrayal of Harvey Dent, which was more chaotic. He depicted the types of crimes that Two-Face commits and that his decisions are 50-50; he has to debate his decisions before coming to a conclusion. Even though there's a lot of cheesy moments in the older films, I still liked this depiction of Two-Face because it presented Dent as a villain first. Audiences didn't see his backstory until the Nolan trilogy.

6. Penguin

I was introduced to Penguin while watching Scooby Doo Meets Batman. These episodes became some of my favorite because of Batman's presence in the show. This side of Penguin was cheesy and there were a lot of bad puns made during the show, but it was entertaining and funny for kids. The darker depiction of Penguin in Batman Returns was completely different. Danny Devito's depiction was deformed, bled black blood, had an army of penguins, and thought that he could take over Gotham by running for mayor. He created chaos by becoming a political leader. He had a sob story to present, which won the hearts of voters. This villain is sly. I think that's why I was intrigued by him during this darker portrayal.

7. Ra's al Ghul

My initial introduction to Ra's al Ghul was in the Nolan trilogy. Liam Neeson was brilliant in Batman Begins. Before viewing this film, I had never heard of this villain. I think that he is one of my favorites because of the methodology regarding stability in the universe. he tried to destroy Gotham to retain balance. It was an interesting concept. I also think that Liam Neeson was partly why I liked this character.

8. Bane

My first exposure to Bane was also from the Nolan trilogy: The Dark Knight Rises. There was a lot of speculation concerning the mask and his voice, but I really liked the depiction that was presented. I was later introduced to the comic book character at Comic Con. I really like that he has tubes hooked up to his mask and body. It makes him look really cool.

9. Catwoman

There have been a lot of Catwomen over the years. I think my favorite is Anne Hathaway because of her personality in the film. She was badass and self-reliant. She's not exactlty a villain either, more of an anti-hero; she puts herself first, but she does certain things for the greater good after she realizes that she can't bolt like she wants too. Michele Pfeiffer's portrayal was interesting, but I really didn't like her costume. I think that was the one thing that kept me from really liking her depiction. Halle Berry also did a good job. I think the one aspect that really intrigues me about Catwoman is her sexuality and attractiveness. She is sexy and dangerous, which makes her character interesting.

10. Deadshot

Assault on Arkham was my introduction to Deadshot, which didn't really excite me much. I really appreciated his character more after seeing Suicide Squad. Will Smith did an excellent job with the villain. Deadshot has motivation that doesn't change; he has a daughter and she is why he does what he does. He needs to provide for her and make sure that she is taken care of, which is a great backstory.