Best Friend Moving Away

Losing Your Best Friend While They're Still Alive

Life gets boring without someone to make you laugh 24/7.

84
Jayden Cousineau

"Would you jump off a bridge if your best friend did?"

Probably not... but I would move states.

We have all been through loss. We lose our phones and wallets on the daily, but most importantly we lose loved ones. They get old, they get sick, and like my best friend, they decide to move. Change is the best medicine, I mean, I just made that quote up but it definitely sounds like something a well-respected therapist would say. Changing my hair makes me feel new, changing my style makes me feel empowered, and changing my location makes me feel alive. Discovering what's toxic in your life and doing something to change it. That's what she did.

So here we are. Thirty-six hours apart and 2,515.7 miles apart. No, I didn't have to Google search that because I have numerous times before. Yes, I remember the point seven.

Jayden Cousineau

Having your best friend with you every single day is a luxury. Laughing till you actually run out of breathe, holding hands jumping into oceans, endless sleepovers where we start to get sick of each other and making new memories that you'll look back on and wish you never took for granted. I've always recycled friendships. You probably are wondering what this means. I've never had a friendship that has lasted this long. I am a hard person to get close to, I can be annoying, I talk a little too much, and it's hard for me to show who I really am in front of anyone. Anyone who I have previously opened up to has either hurt me, disappointed me, or left me on my own. Which I'm completely fine with being alone, but I couldn't imagine achieving all the things I have without my best friend.

My best friend is the one person in my life who has never given up on me, she taught me love and she showed me loyalty. She taught me that when things get hard there's always tomorrow and I never understood what that meant until now. I can often go to bed with tears in my eyes and wake up the next morning knowing that I'm lucky to have the people that I do in my life. She is the reason why there is so much love in my life and is the reason that I try to be the best possible version of myself every day.

If you're reading this and you're thinking in your head, "wow, I love my best friend," think of yourself as blessed. You have a relationship that helps you be you. People help you see the light that you often can't find in yourself. That is what my best friend did for me. She adjusted my glasses and helped me see clearly. I help her grow and she helps me grow. Yes, I miss her every day and will probably make the split decision to fly me and all my belongings to Utah one day... but until that day, I will continue to wish I had her here every day.