Why Is Losing Your Best Friend So Difficult?

They are the last person you thought you'd say goodbye to.

3703

A best friend: someone who you share memories with, tell everything to, and can't stay mad at because you have important stuff to share with them. They are the people who make life a little sweeter, make you smile a little brighter, and help you laugh a little louder.

Everyone has had a time in their lives when they start to lose connection with their best friend. Whether that reason be distance, an argument, a significant other in one of your lives, or one of those cases where you simply just slowly stop talking. Whatever the reason is losing your best friend can be a life changing process. A best friend can be a guy or girl and they can mean more to you than anyone else. You may do everything with this person and they can be the hardest goodbye that you have ever had to say. Here are 10 reasons why losing your best friend can be so difficult to cope with.

1. People change.

People change but memories don't. You know that because of your life experiences you are who you are. This goes for everyone and sometimes people change for the better or for the worse. Your best friend can turn into stranger and this can be hard to deal with because you thought you knew everything about them.

2. Most of the time it is unexpected.

Losing your best friend is not something that anyone plans. It is something that is unexpected and that can happen in a blink of an eye. At first you may not understand what is happening or why you are losing him or her, but give it time and you will figure it out. Don't push for answers right away, it could drive you crazy when you don't get them.

3. New best friend jealousy.

You are supposed to be their best friend, not someone new. It can be difficult to see your old best friend post pictures with their new best friend. Don't take it personally because you will move on too, it just takes time.

4. You may not get closure.

As humans we want closure, we want to be told that something is over, and that there is no chance of it changing. If you don't get closure it can make it harder to move on and to start fresh with new people. Maybe one day you will get that closure, but it can take some time before you do. While you are waiting you can't waste your days away, you need to learn to execpt others as your closer friends and make new memories.

5. They know everything.

They are the person that you tell everything too and they may understand you better than you know yourself. Now they are gone and you are unsure of who to turn to especially when it is concerning your best friend.

6. It can be harder than moving on from a relationship.

When you break up with your significant other you have your best friend to talk with, cry with, and binge eat with. But when you lose your best friend who is going to do that with you? This is a good question, but it isn't something that you can be fixed on. Instead you need to find one of your other friends and slowly let them in because you never know who can make a difference in your life.

7. Little things remind you of them.

It can be a keyword that you always used together, places that you both would always go too, or even things that you would talk about. It is OK that things can remind you of the good memories you once shared with someone. You shouldn't look at these as being upsetting but rather take the time to cherish them and be happy that they happened.

8. Becoming friends again, but it will never be the same.

You may lose your best friend and after some time passes you can become friends again. This is a great thing because it shows that you are both mature enough to get passed a difficult time and reconnect. You may never be best friends again and things may never be the same between you, but it is better than nothing.

9. You may feel like it was your fault.

It's normal to want to blame yourself for losing someone close to you. You can try to find every reason of why it can only be your fault, but this isn't true. It's not true because there are two sides to every story and there are always two people in every story too. So you can't blame just yourself, but rather look at everything good you did in your friendship.

10. Moving on seems impossible.

After losing your best friend it may seem like you have completely lost everything. It is totally OK to feel this way, but don't let it define you. You will move on and you will let go of that person, but never forget the memories you shared.

From Your Site Articles