Inevitable fear of losing friendships

For The Lost High School Friendships

The fear of losing your high school best friend is nerve wreaking and I feel you.

112
https://www.pexels.com/photo/backlit-dawn-foggy-friendship-697243/

With summer break officially underway for most students, this one's for those freshmen who are going back home with an air of apprehension. 'Are my high school friends still the same?' 'Where do we stand?'

This fear that you might not click as you used to. That the distance has truly drifted you apart from each other. Despite your promises and best attempts to stay in touch, have you become both become completely changed by the college experience? Is there no one to vent to about your life to back home?!

Your high school best friend is a representation of your high school experience. They were there when you struggled to figure yourself out through the rollercoaster that is puberty. They know all the embarrassing things you have done, all the high school crushes, all your dreams and wishes. They were a member of your family since they practically lived in your house (or vice versa).

This fear of not clicking with these people who have been an integral part of who you were is daunting. It signifies you both have changed. It signifies you aren't the same hopeful 17-18 year olds clinging onto each other in jubilation and trepidation as your college applications came in. You've grown and that is what college is meant to do.

Just because you are different doesn't mean you can't still be friends. Yes, it's not the same, but this is an opportunity to get to know these important people in a different light. It's a chance to grow from your past. Sometimes it might not work out, but that's completely fine as long as you surround yourself with people who care about you and who allow you to be yourself.

Life is too short to surround yourself with people who drain you. But it's also too short to live in fear of change. Embrace the jitters you're feeling and reconnect with your friends, but maybe also try reaching out those people you never talked to in high school. Don't miss out on learning from different people just to stay in your comfort zone. Carpe diem, amiright?