Losing Friends While In College

Losing Friends While In College

You might think that they are your friends forever, and they might be but sometimes you grow apart.

501
Losing Friends While In College
Chloe Buchanan

You might grow apart from your friends and that's ok because you will make new ones but your friends from home are a one of a kind. You can't find anyone else like them, anyone that will be there for you like they are. Some friends just aren't meant to stick around in your life but life goes on.

1. Always evolving

You always have a best friend in elementary school. You tell them all your secrets and they know your whole life story. Your friend group expands once you go into middle school and then high school. Your group of friends is always evolving. People come and go but the best ones stay. The ones that really care about you and your well being, they are the ones that truly matter. The ones that say, "I love you," when you say your goodbyes. The ones that tell you to drive safely. They are the friends that you can't afford to lose, even if college gets in the way.

2. The ones that remain constant

I was lucky enough to have a best friend that was right across the street from me so we would always meet up and roam around the neighborhood, rallying all the kids together to play kickball or manhunt. That best friend is still my best friend, even though we are in college. We still keep in touch and always get together when we are home. We might have fought at times but they were never long, and we continued to tell each other everything. Whenever I need something or I'm upset, I go to her for advice. She always has the best advice, never letting me down. Everyone needs a best friend like that. When you feel lost, they will always be there for you.

3. The ones that are always there for you

Your group of friends might be the most important thing in your life. They are always there for you when you need help or when you just want to go out and have fun. You just call them up and say, "Want to do something tonight?", and they automatically say yes. Spending time with your friends is good for you, it relieves stress especially if you're in college with a huge workload. College can make it difficult for you all to stay in touch but that's why you need to work for it and check in on each other every once in a while. I have a big group of friends, and each one of us would do anything for each other. We are always there for each other when we most need it.

4. Drifting apart

You are all in college, still at home working or traveling the world. You all have different schedules and interests now so it is common for you to drift away from each other. While in college, you don't make it back home as often as you might like so you don't get to see your friends that often. When I first started college, I was really drifting away from my friends. I barely talked to them and never saw them until winter break. I was just so stressed out and homesick that I kept to myself. Eventually, I texted my friends to see how they were doing and from there on out, I talked to them and saw them every once in a while. When you start to drift apart, you can feel it so you just need to make an effort to put yourself out there and show that you are still there for them.

5. Try and stay in touch

Call or text your friends to remind them that you are still there for them. You can video chat with them or even go visit them on the weekends at their college campus. Shooting a text asking them how they are doing can go a long way. Meet up someday to just go out for coffee or dinner to catch up. You guys might be in different states or across the country so it is difficult to meet up or to go home, FaceTime is a great way to see each other. Any way that you show that you care can help your friendship stay intact.

6. New connections with college friends

You go to college and meet lots of new people. You make new friends in your classes or in your dorm hall, they might not stick around forever and that's ok. Some people aren't meant to be in your life forever. At college, you tend to find your "forever friends", the ones that once you graduate, you still stay in touch and attend each other's weddings. Your college friends might be one of the most important people in your life while you're in college. They know exactly what you are going through and can help in many ways. My friends and I study together, go shopping and go to dinner together. My one friend is an education major and I am a pre-medicine major but she still helps me study and if that doesn't show real friendship, I don't know what does.

You might grow apart and thats ok. Try and stay in touch if you truly care about your friendship and don't want to lose what you have.