Lorelai, You Are Being Ridiculous

Lorelai, You Are Being Ridiculous

The return of "Gilmore Girls."
8

As a dedicated coffee addict, I really am unsure if I obtained my habit from my father, or the infamous "Gilmore Girls." Yes, that’s right. The "Gilmore Girls" have returned on a Netflix series containing four hour-long episodes for fall, winter, spring and summer. This means small town charm, the return of ex-boyfriends and the favorite mother-daughter duo of all time. Oh and coffee, lots and lots of coffee.

Growing up, I remember racing home from school to catch "Gilmore Girls" on ABC Family. Admiring both, I strive for academic excellence like Rory and executed professional sarcasm on a regular basis like Lorelai. Sometimes my mother would be in the room during a classic Lorelai and Emily squabble, and laugh due to the undeniably relatable spat. As "Gilmore Girl" lovers would know, a spat is something that can be diffused with a spatula.

While Rory was attending Chilton and learning to friend / befriend Paris Geller, balance her boyfriend Dean with her friend Lane and become social for Headmaster Charleston, I too was adapting to the environment of a teenager. When she was insulted by Logan's dad, Mr. Huntzberger, and left Yale unsure if she could actually become a journalist, I too was struggling to figure out my own path while listening to the criticism of others. And when she denied Logan's proposal to pursue her dream as a writer, it sent a message to women saying that life should not revolve around a guy. She became my inspiration, and go-to when I wanted to escape my own reality.

Lorelai, on the other hand, is a unique whirlwind. With her unmatchable beauty, coffee addiction and witty personality, how could one not be charmed by her character? Along with her failed relationships, Friday night dinner outfits, being an amazing friend to Sookie and passion for the Dragon Fly Inn, she is also an inspiration and role model for young, single mothers. Having had Rory at the age of 16, moving out and working in the Independence Inn as a maid for Mia and encouraging self-exploration for her daughter, she has unapologetically held onto who she is and what she believes in; which for myself has always been a struggle. Through every episode, she reminded me to grow and make decisions without worrying about the judgment of others. And for that, I am eternally grateful.

Parallel to the return of the "Gilmore Girls," is this string of sentimental memories. The show is like no other in the sense that it never disappoints. It teaches you about friendship and romantic relationships, while reinforcing the significance of forgiveness, chasing your dreams and finding your own identity.

As seen on Lorelai’s (Lauren Graham) Instagram, there is a spoiler of a conversation between her and Rory about whether or not Amy Schumer would like her. The end result being no, as Rory points out Schumer is into water sports, and as we all know, Lorelai is not exactly athletic; except maybe when playing racket ball.

Amy Schumer proceeded to tweet Lauren Graham saying that she, in fact, would love her, which was followed by Lauren Graham's reply of, “Amazing,” with a few red hearts. The love, however, is not just spreading between them, but between "Gilmore Girl" fans across the world. We have been waiting impatiently and anxiously for this iconic return for years. November 25, just does not seem close enough.