How To Get A Summer Job

How To Get A Summer Job

There Are More Opportunities Than You Think
2

I'm just a couple weeks shy of graduating, and already have a job opportunity for the fall, but I'm still looking for a summer job. The past couple of summers I spent as a camp counselor were some of the best summers of my life, but it didn't work out this year.

I've been actively looking for job opportunities, and considered selling a kidney on the black market, but I know I'll find steady work soon. If you're in the same boat as me, here are some suggestions for summer jobs:

1. Local parks

There are tons of day camps and events that happen during the summer at your local parks district. Give their websites a look to see if they're hiring! Jobs in these areas range from day camp counselors to gate admissions to concession stands.

2. Dog walking

You probably live near people who own dogs, and those people probably work during the day in the summer. Getting a job as a dog walker will give them peace of mind and the dogs a great way to get out of the house! The hours are flexible and you can get your doggy fix if you don't have one at home.

3. Nannying

Chances are, there's someone who needs a chauffeur/babysitter/chaperone during the summertime. These jobs usually pay pretty well. Ask around, and create a profile on babysitting websites (those are a thing now, apparently).

4. Retail stores

Look around and see if anyone is hiring. They are usually willing to take people on a temporary basis and the work is steady, and you may even get clothing discounts or special employee prices!

5. Fitness centers

If you're an athletic training or personal trainer major, this is perfect for you! You can work the front desk and potentially get discounts on a gym membership for the summer.

As for me, I am probably going to end up working at a local park or walking dogs, and that's okay with me. I don't need to make a fortune this summer, but I do want to make just a bit of money and keep myself occupied before I move to Pittsburgh for my fellowship. And remember, always have a resume ready and at least three references from different areas of your life (a friend, a former boss, and a professor). You never know who you might run into!