Looking Back At 2016 In Entertainment

Looking Back At 2016 In Entertainment

From the best to the underrated to the plain old confusing, there are a lot of great artists to be in awe of this year.
4

It cannot be disputed that 2016 was an interesting year. Full of ups, downs, and in-betweens, there was always something entertaining to look at or listen to keep your attention. Whenever I like to look back, I of course reexamine myself and goals that I achieved or didn't.

But often what I find sometimes more telling overall about the year is looking at the art made during this time. Being a huge advocate and aspiring creator in the arts, I love criticizing and analyzing works seeing their resonances in our time now. And boy did we get a plethora of new and engaging works that we should be very thankful for. From the best to the underrated to the plain old confusing, there are a lot of great artists to be in awe of this year.

TV:

Best Sophomore Season- Jane the Virgin

Best TV Show Finale- Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, Season 2

Biggest WTF Finale- Orange is the New Black, Season 4, Poussey

Best Reality Show- Real Housewives Orange County Season 11

Best New Comedy Special- Bo Burham: Make Happy

Most Underrated New Show- Love

Most Overrated Comeback- American Horror Story

Most Surprisingly Exciting New Season- 90 Day Fiancé

Most Anticipated Revival with Mixed Results- Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life

Most Surprising Wonderful Netflix Binge- The Crown

Most Annoying Show that is Advertised Far Too Much- Too Close to Home

Most Recommended Show to Binge- Stranger Things

Film:

Best Breakout Film- Moana

Best Underrated Film-Tallulah

Best New Musical Film- La La Land

Best Animated Sequel- Finding Dory

Best Unexpected Sequel- My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2

Best Attempt to Continue the Harry Potter Universe with Mixed Results- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

Most Anticipated Theatre Lovers’ Dream- Fences

Most Disappointing Film- Suicide Squad

Most Surprising, but Well Deserved Hit- Zootopia

Most Disappointing Ending- Me Before You

Most Likely Produced to Just Be a Box Office Hit- Passengers

Most Important Movie- Hidden Figures

Theatre:

Best New Musical- Natasha, Pierre, and the Great Comet of 1812

Best Revival of a Musical- Falsettos

Best Broadway Transfer- Hamilton Chicago production

Best New Play- Eclipsed

Most Underrated Score- Waitress

Most Anticipated Broadway Premiere and Cast Album for 2017- Dear Evan Hansen

Most Forgettable Revival- The Cherry Orchard

Most Innovative Staging of Classics- The Crucible and A View from the Bridge

Most Adorable Onstage Pairing- Amelie (Phillapa Soo and Adam Chenlar-Beret)

Breakout Musical Star- Cynthia Erivo

Best New Trend: Sight Specific Theatre (Ragtime on Ellis Island, Violet on Boston bus)

Music:

Best Surprise Album Drop- Adele (25)

Best Album- Beyonce (Lemonade)

Best Christmas Album- Leslie Odom Jr. (Simply Christmas)

Best Music Video and Overall Killing it This Year- Sia, “The Greatest”

Best Collaboration but with Problematic Music Video- Coldplay and Beyonce, “Hymn for the Weekend”

Most Overrated Band- The Chainsmokers

Most Overplayed Song- Anything by Twenty One Pilots (“Heathens”, “Ride”, “Stressed Out”)

Most Overrated Album- The Hamilton Mixtape by Various Artists

Most Underrated Album- Remember Us to Life by Regina Spektor

Album that Everyone Should Listen to- Joanne by Lady Gaga