A Look At Feminism

A Look At Feminism

The College Perspective

996
A Look At Feminism
intrigue.ie/media

In today’s day and age, feminism is a huge topic often talked about in society. Women are constantly pushing for more equality in society between the male population, and have no problem voicing how they feel. With it being such a popular topic, especially among college kids, I surveyed 8 people on open-ended questions about feminism, and their opinions on the matter.

1. How would you define feminism?

Male A: Plainly, I would define it as a movement to provide equal rights between men and women.

Male B: Feminism is a belief and movement for both the equal rights of women and also the protection of those rights.

Male C: Going based off my own knowledge and understanding, it's a movement and belief for women to unite and embrace their gender on many levels in society in a sometimes extreme fashion.

Male D: Feminism is an annoying group of fat women and lesbians who complain about everything.

Female A: I define feminism as a movement for which women want to be have equal rights

Female B: I would define feminism as equality of the sexes, in all aspects.

Female C: Feminism to me, is a woman’s fight for equality between men and women in today’s society.

Female D: I believe feminism is a belief/view that women should be heard and valued just as equally as the opposite gender.

2. What do you think the primary purpose of feminism is?

Male A: I think the primary purpose of feminism is to provide equal rights to women. However, I believe that the movement is one to exclude a male population for which they see as overbearing and oppressive. Rather than equality between men and women, they want societal justice in order to place them ahead of men.

Male B: The primary purpose of feminism is to gain equal rights for women similar to the civil rights movement fighting to gain equal rights for African Americans.

Male C: I think the purpose has been misinterpreted and distorted by society. Women want equality, respect, and opportunity

Male D: To piss of mankind.

Female A: I think the purpose of feminism is for women to one day be treated and seen just like guys in different aspects.

Female B: I think feminism's primary purpose is to equal the playing field, to show that women are just as capable as men.

Female C: The purpose of feminism is to establish the equality they seek, but I feel that women have taken this to the extreme and are looking to establish a matriarchy rather than complete equality.

Female D: I believe the primary purpose is to give women a louder voice than they already have, to be taken seriously and to be heard.

3. Are you a feminist? Why/why not?

Male A: No, because I don’t believe the movement is doing anything to help the rights of women, it’s almost a mockery. They proclaim women's rights but then banish you if you don’t follow their exact code of law. They basically believe that “you’re either with us or against us, but if you're with us we will love and support you.” I see feminism as a destructive thing to women's morale and the movement itself really puts a damper on equality movements.

Male B: I am a feminist because everyone deserves an equal opportunity, as guaranteed in our constitution, and to have an equal opportunity everyone needs to have the same rights.

Male C: No I am not. I tend not to agree with all feminist beliefs, based off my first hand experiences with those claiming to be feminist.

Male D: Hell no, I’m a man.

Female A: No, I don't consider myself a feminist. I am all for women's rights, but I don't see us ever being equal.

Female B: I am a feminist. I think it's bullshit that men are held to what seems to be a higher standard/bracket than woman.

Female C: I go back and forth on the matter. Although I think they have some excellent beliefs, I don’t like to consider myself a feminist because I only think of how it might make me look like one of the overly excessive ones.

Female D: I don't consider myself a feminist, although some of my personal beliefs do align with those who label themselves as feminists. I feel that being a woman and speaking my mind about what I feel is right is sufficient for me.

4. Do you think our society needs feminism or a feminist movement?

Male A: I don’t, plainly because it isn’t effective, it doesn’t help women, and it’s bullshit. Think of it like a stereotypical sorority on acid, it counteracts everything. Feminism only helps who it wants to help, and that’s people like Taylor Swift. Feminism in our society only works for people like her. White, tall, blonde, and aspiring pop stars.

Male B: Our society needs a feminist movement because movements create change.

Male C: A feminist movement is not what we need.

Male D: No.

Female A: I think society is going through a feminist movement currently. I know many feminists who post about issues on social media.

Female B: I do think our society needs a feminist movement. People can complain every day about the discouraging differences between the sexes but nothing can or will be done without any effort.

Female C: Although I don’t think we need one, there are some things in society that could be fixed if we were to have one.

Female D: I think we are in the midst of a feminist movement right now, you see more and more different views and controversial topics including gender issues, being brought up online now than ever before.

5. Do you think feminist movements and equal rights movement are the same?

Male A: I believe they have the same outlooks, principles, and definitions, but I don’t see them as equal, especially in practice. Equal rights movements do much more, and they aren’t working against the better of society. Equal rights movements work for the betterment of society, because not only does it benefit women, it also benefits minorities, and the impoverished.

Male B: I do believe feminist movements and equal rights movements are the same.

Male C: The original goal may have been for them to stand on a common ground but these movements are not the same.

Male D: No it’s not because women already have equal rights.

Female A: I think feminist movements are similar to equal rights movement because both movements just want equality.

Female B: Yeah, ultimately I think if you're pushing for equal rights you're pushing for feminism.

Female C: No, feminists seek more than equal rights in my opinion. They seem to want complete control sometimes.

Female D: No, not necessarily. But I guess it depends on who you ask, some people see feminism as strictly an equal rights sort of thing, but I believe it's much more than that.

6. How do you feel about the counteractive "meninism" movement that was made in response to feminism?

Male A: I think it’s great. It really points out the flaws in the feminism movement, and it shows what a mockery it is. I’m sorry, but I don’t believe that "death to men" or "rape should be considered every time a woman has sex" is right. And it’s not equality, it’s degrading. And when people proclaim privilege based on the idea of myself being a white male, and I have to pay for the sins of my forefathers, I feel like I’m being pushed into a corner. I did not enact slavery, I didn’t force women to be beneath me in any way. Just because I am a white man doesn’t mean that my values or rights should be side swept or withheld.

Male B: I believe the meninism movement that was created is comical but absolutely ridiculous. I believe it was created to highlight the contradictions made by those within the feminist movement who don't really understand what feminism is.

Male C: It doesn't come as a surprise by any means. People can do as they please but I feel both groups lack efficiency and proper purpose.

Male D: I’ve never heard of meninism, but I’d have a beer with them.

Female A: Even though females want to have the same rights as, males also want that and express that through meninism.

Female B: I think the meninism "movement" was more of a mockery then a literal movement. Men voiced their opinions based on minute topics/situations that don't have any true role in our daily lives. For example, complaints about not getting into a club for free because he was a man were stated. Boo-hoo.

Female C: Meninism honestly just gives me a laugh. People take it too seriously.

Female D: I don't hate it, you have to respect people's views regardless if you agree with them or not. I think it was created to counteract any feminists who were overbearing in their beliefs- shouting them out whenever/wherever possible (which is annoying regardless what you're preaching about).

7. Do you think the wage gap is an issue between men and women?

Male A: Yes, I believe equal wages is fair for all, I am a strong believer that if you have the abilities and you work hard you should not be deemed less than or other. I do feel that the society we live in is misogynistic, and that it is wrong that women inherently make less than men, though.

Male B: I do believe the wage gap is an issue between men and women. If two people are doing the same type, quality, and amount of work then they should be compensated the same regardless of gender. However, if one person does a higher quality of work than the other, then that person should be compensated more whether they are male or female.

Male C: The wage gap is an issue between men and women. It's an issue between the middle and upper class and so on. The wage gap is not just a make vs female issue and if focus and energy is put solely on that we will continue to have a problem.

Male D: No, because there is no wage gap. If a woman is great at her job, her salary shows for it.

Female A: I do think the wage gap is an issue between males and females. Pay should be the same for both genders when performing the same tasks.

Female B: The wage gap is a crucial issue between men and women. The average wage gap, according to aauw.org, is roughly about a $10,000 starting difference. I'll leave that there.

Female C: Yes, it absolutely does, and it’s one of those problems I’ve been mentioning that could seriously be fixed.

Female D: Well, I believe that it does exist, there's proof. But, gender isn't always the reason behind the gap. Age, job experience, and accountability are all factors taken into consideration when these wages are being distributed.

8. What is your opinion on modern day feminism?

Male A: Utterly ridiculous. Rant withheld

Male B: Modern day feminism isn't achieving anything. There are too many off-shoots of what the point of feminism really is that these people are only corrupting the movement. It appears more and more that some women believe feminism exists to make them better than men or that the world doesn't need men. If that opinion continues to exist, no real change will happen.

Male C: Restating my response to question two I feel it has become a group with misdirected purpose and distorted ideologies. As well as people claiming to be a part of a group they may not even know much about.

Male D: It is ridiculous.

Female A: I think modern day feminism is important because future generations will be educated on the issue if it still exists.

Female B: I think women need to start fighting for our rights. We are qualified, we are driven, we are equals.

Female C: It’s too extreme.

Female D: I think modern day feminism is too in-your-face. Yes, as a woman, I do experience the glass ceiling on a frequent basis, but, there are better ways to get heard than putting men down or stressing the wage gap.

9. Do you think that women are still oppressed in our society?

Male A: I do believe the society we live in is misogynistic. However I don’t believe the male population as a whole is at fault or should be punished

Male B: I think women are slightly oppressed in our society.

Male C: Of course. Along with many other groups.

Male D: Of course not, women have all of the same opportunities that men do, if not more.

Female A: Yes, I definitely think women are still oppressed in society. A girl would be judged walking around in public with no top on while a guy wouldn't. Guys are also hired over girls in certain fields due to their strength.

Female B: I feel like women are sometimes oppressed. I definitely feel like we aren't as valued as men are, inside the work place and out.

Female C: Not in every aspect, but there are parts where women are still severely oppressed. Especially outside of our society.

Female D: Depends on the area, but yes.

10. Do you think being deemed a feminist is a bad look for a woman? Does it have a negative or positive connotation to you?

Male A: Feminism does have a negative connotation as it provides images of Taylor Swift or girls on Instagram who use the hashtag “feminism” on everything. That being said, being deemed a feminism is something women cling to because they believe that by doing so they are working for the betterment of women in society.

Male B: Being deemed a feminist is a bad look only if you make it a bad look. It depends on how you carry yourself. If you're a feminist that refuses to take a man's seat on the subway because “you don't need a man's help” then yes, it's a bad look. But if you carry yourself as someone who is seeking equality and fairness in society, then no it is not a bad look.

Male C: I don't think it's anybody's place say being a feminist is a bad look for a woman. I will say it does come with a negative connotation based off my own experiences though.

Male D: Yes, it is a bad look to be a feminist.

Female A: I don't think being a feminist makes a woman look bad. However, some feminists do take extremes with movements like the one where they don't want to use pads or tampons. I think feminism has a positive connotation on me because when I have a career one day I would want to be making the same salary as a man in the same field.

Female B: I don't think being deemed as a feminist is a bad look for a woman, it just means she has the balls and voice to speak against a controversial topic. To me personally, it has a positive connotation. It exemplifies the type of morals I have for not only myself but for the woman I'm surrounded with within society.

Female C: In some ways it can be a bad look, only because those who make feminism most known are the most extreme and take it too far.

Female D: I don't think it's a bad look at all. If that's what's most important to you then speak up about it. Just realize that others will disagree with you.

11. Do you think men and women could ever be equal? Why/why not?

Male A: I hope that we could, we are one species after all. Yet within that, all that comes to mind is John Lennon's "Imagine" and I doubt that that we ever could. It only takes one weed to soil an entire crop.

Male B: Men and women can never be equal because they play different roles in society. A women carries another human being for 9 months, something a man could never do. As a result, women will always be biologically superior.

Male C: Absolutely not. Why would we want to be equal? Both genders are beautifully designed with countless differences. No two human beings are equal, what measurement are you basing the equality off of? We must learn to find comfort in the fact that we are all uniquely created and no two individuals will ever be the same. We must acknowledge these truths and treat each other with love and respect because it's right not because of claims of deserving equality.

Male D: They are already equal.

Female A: I don't think men and women could ever be equal. Men and women are just physically built different and have different purposes. Guys will never get to experience child birth and females will always considered a mother when they have kids. Guys are also always expected to take girls out on dates and pay for them and I don't see that changing.

Female B: I don't believe men and women will ever be equal. Equality takes a lot of work and time. Both of these things aren't what people necessarily want to give. To me it's sad, but I'll always fight for my rights and my worth.

Female C: No, women and men weren’t meant to be equal. Just look at us physically, it’s never going to happen. And that’s not entirely a bad thing, but I think women are just too concerned with the idea that being different is bad.

Female D: I don't think that gender equality will ever disappear until we get past gender roles, and that can take a while.