A Long Overdue Thank You To My Sorority

A Long Overdue Thank You To My Sorority

“From the outside looking in, you will never understand it. From the inside looking out, you can never explain it."

17
A Long Overdue Thank You To My Sorority
Abbey Gore

As I’m nearing the end of my time as an active member of my sisterhood, I realize that I have not given my sorority the credit that it deserves. If I had not joined my sorority years ago, my college experience would not have been the same. I have learned so much about myself, about service, about having fun, and most importantly about what it means to have genuine friendships. I would not be who I am today without those greek letters associated with my name.

We often mumble and groan about having to go to our required sorority events. I know that I’m guilty of that at times too. Too often we forget about the bigger picture, about what we stand for. We are an organization that promotes philanthropy, academia, friendship, and love. Our hours of meetings and dollars of dues do not go without a purpose. Our ritual events are not only required, but they remind us of the group of women that decided to come together and band together as a cohesive unit over a century ago. These women did not have it as easy as we do. Their equality was not the same as ours in the eyes of society, and the fact that they had the courage to form a group where they could be strongly united despite all odds is incredible. It is our job to carry out that legacy, and I feel honored to do so.

I have spent more hours serving others and the community through my sorority than I ever would have without it. We have raised SOOO much money as a group of broke college girls to help change lives, to search for a cure, and to spread love and positivity. Though it hurt my bank account at times, I would never go back and change a thing. Contributing to a cause much bigger than myself was absolutely worth a few extra dinners at the dining hall instead of at Applebee’s. I am proud of what my sorority stands for, and I am proud of what we do.

Thinking about not seeing my sisters at least once a week hurts a lot more than I ever thought it would. Before we know it, we’ll be moved on to different places and bigger things. With all of the time we have spent together and all of the laughs and memories shared, these girls have truly become my sisters. I have made some of the absolute best friends through my sorority that I am forever thankful for. I can’t imagine not spending every Monday evening with them for dinner and a sorority meeting. I will miss going to mixers and formals and having the time of my life with girls I love. I will miss living across the hall from some of my dearest friends.

So to my sisters, wherever you go in life, know that you always have a friend in me. I am so incredibly honored to call each and every one of you my sisters, and because I knew you, I have been changed for good. College would not have been the same without you - every drama-filled meeting, every grueling hour of recruitment week, every drop of face paint, and every penny spent on a most definitely not needed but an absolutely necessary new sorority shirt. I thank you all for the part you have played in my journey, and I love you girls with all my heart. I am most thankful to my sorority for giving me you.

XOXO