Long Distance

Long Distance Sucks, But Here's How You Survive It

Making a long distance relationship work is no easy feat. As someone who's doing it, I think it's actually one of the hardest relationship hurdles to overcome but as long as you do these things you'll be fine.

29

Whether your 400 or 4,000 miles apart, everyone can agree that long distance relationships suck. Even if things are going well, it can be so easy to second guess whether or not you're both just wasting time together. That's why it's so important to know what to do to keep your relationship strong, even if things aren't perfect — because if you're making it work, then you and bae def deserve a pat on the back. Just remember though, the distance isn't forever.

Make Time To Communicate With Eachother Regularly

A key part of tackling a long disrance relationship is making sure you're both willing to make regular communication with one another a priority since you aren't able to spend time together as often as a "normal" couple, video chatting and phone calls are of the utmost importance.

Be Honest And Open With Your Needs

Being honest about your needs and vice versa can make a huge difference in how smoothly things go in a long distance relationship. Sure, you might still have disagreements and conflicts, but if you're being direct and open, then this is most definitely a good thing.

It is so hard, but so important, to talk with your partner about your feelings towards the distance. It starts with acknowledging and accepting that you are physically apart and how it affects you, your partner and the relationship.

And If your bae flakes on a phone call and you're honest with them about how that made you feel, even if it's tough, this gives them a chance to improve — and ultimately, helps you both understand each other's needs better.

View It As An Opportunity

View it as a learning journey for both of you. See it as a test of your love for each other. As the Chinese saying goes, "Real gold is not afraid of the test of fire." Instead of thinking that this long distance relationship is pulling you two apart, you should believe that through this experience, both of you will be bound together even stronger.

As Emma says it to Will in season four of Glee,

"I would rather be here, far from you, but feeling really close, rather than close to you but feeling really far away." – Emma, Glee Season 4

Talk Dirty To Eachother A Little Bit, It Won't Kill You 

Sexual tension is undoubtedly one of the most important things between couples. Sexual desire is like a glue that keeps both parties from drifting apart. Not only is sex a biological need, but it is also an emotional one as well.

Keep the flames burning by sending each other teasing texts filled with sexual innuendos and provocative descriptions. Sexy puns work pretty well too.

Do Things Together

Play an online game together. Watch a documentary on YouTube or Vimeo at the same time. Sing to each other on Skype while one of you plays the guitar. "Take a walk together" outside while video-calling each other. Go online-shopping together — and buy each other gifts.

You really have to be creative and spontaneous about it.

Know Each Others Schedules

It's helpful to know when the other person is busy and when he/she is free so that you can drop a text or make a call at the right time. You wouldn't want to disturb your partner when he/she is in the middle of class or halfway through a business meeting.

Know the small and big events that are taking place or will take place in each other's life e.g. college mid-terms and exams, important business trips and meetings, job interviews and etc. This is especially essential when both of you are living in different time zones.

Keep Something To Remember Them By

There is power in a memento. Be it a small pendent, a ring, a keychain, songs or videos, or a bottle of fragrance. We often attach meanings to the little things and items found in our everyday life, whether knowingly or not.

This is what we all do — we try to store memories in physical things, in the hope that when our mind fails us, we can look or hold on to something that will help us remember. This is why something so simple can mean so much to a person, when others may see little or no value in it.

Stay Positive

You need to be constantly injecting positive energy into the long distance relationship to keep it alive. Yes, the waiting can be painful and you can sometimes feel lonely but you need to remind yourself that the fruits at the end will be sweet as heaven.

One good trick to staying positive is to be grateful all the time. Be thankful that you have someone to love — someone who also loves you back. Be thankful for the little things, like the hand-made letter that arrived safely in your mailbox the other day. Be thankful for each other's health and safety.