Dealing With Long Distance Relationships

Nobody likes to be separated from their best friend.

4
FlappyAlex

They suck.

Anyone who has ever been in a serious relationship, where they spend their time sending those cute texts here and there or sharing most of their time together can understand the hurt after leaving each other for college or where ever life take them. For me, it was really tough (and still is) parting ways with my boyfriend. He left to UCSC, and I went on to La Sierra University, feeling bruised from the 400 miles that come between us, not to mention the almost 7-hour drive. Sure, FaceTime helps and so does texting and calling, but what hurts the most is that there isn't the physical presence of someone being there to console you after you failed a test or to share a good meal with. It's just not the same letting your tears fall onto a desk and he "wipes" them off on his side of the screen when there could be a physical shoulder.

Whenever someone would try to tell me, "Oh it's not going to work out," or, "These kinds of relationships are the hardest are you sure you want to do this?" and, "That's going to be a true test of trust," it would only make our relationship and trust in each other stronger versus getting discouraged. I tell my friends all the time that if we can do it, so can they, so stay hopeful because time is short (and long) when you miss someone you love. Of course, it's a bummer hearing these things coming from a family member or a close friend. It does make me wonder how things could be or turn out, but I don't let myself get into that sad mentality, cause I always remind myself that it's not the end of the world.

As I sat at my desk, looking at the photo collage frame my boyfriend had made me at the start of my freshman year, it reassured me that everything would be okay. It hurts to be such a long distance away from him, but it doesn't mean that I won't ever see him again! It goes the same for every guy and gal out there with their relationships. You can tough it out like me in-between vacations and months before they come home. Those moments, when you do reunite, are some of the most precious. I know it sounds corny, but hear me out. When you've been wrapped up in a blanket or sitting at a table talking to a screen instead of an actual face, the moment of that first hug after being apart for a month is extremely satisfying.

And when it's time to leave each other again, there's the tinge of sadness behind the smiles we depart with, but we always make sure to let each other know that there's only an x amount of weeks before the next time we get to spend time with each other again. If anything, being apart can be seen as a good thing. It strengthens what you already have going on, you have space for each other when there needs to be, less of a distraction when you have to study (haha just kidding, but really), and you grow in ideas and personality. So an LDR does help in some ways.

But nothing beats being together. Hang in there.