Long Distance Relationships Are Hard

Long Distance Relationships Are Hard

Pros and cons of a long-distance relationship

39
Long Distance Relationships Are Hard
Tessa Rose JianXia Simon

Long distance relationships are not for everyone, and a few years ago I told myself I would never be able to partake in one, because I’m too needy and need constant assurance. I applauded anyone who could, thinking to myself “how is that possible?” Recently, I’ve found myself in a long distance relationship and it’s not as hard as I thought it would be, but it is more difficult some days than others. For anyone who has experienced this, you’ll understand these pros and cons of a long distance relationship.

Cons:

1. Missing Them- The hardest part is not being able to see them every day. You can text and video chat, but it’s not the same as face to face interactions.
  2. Time differences- If you and your significant other aren't in the same time zone, it’s hard to correspond texts and video chats to when you’re both awake at a reasonable time.
  3. No cuddles- There are always times, maybe if you had a bad day, or a long day at work, where you just want to crawl into your partner’s arms and cuddle till you're feeling better.
  4. No dates- You can’t explore new places with your significant other and create new memories.
  5. Loneliness- You get lonely. Especially if your friends have significant others they get to see all the time, and tell you about the fun times they have. Of course you want to hear about it but it leaves a little twang in your heart, wishing you could be doing the same thing with your bae.
  6. Fears- My biggest fear being apart is, “what if he finds someone else/better?” I can be reassured by him over and over again that will never happen, but deep down there’s a part of me that continues to think that. I see his worth and how amazing he is, even if he doesn’t, and I know any girl would be lucky to have him, I know I am.

Pros:

1. Shaving- Personally shaving my legs is a chore and I try to go as long as I can without shaving them. When you’re with your significant other, most girls like their legs to feel smooth. Some people will say you don’t have to shave your legs just for your significant other, but if it makes you feel more confident or beautiful, do it.
  2. Space- Some couples get way into each other's lives that they forget that they need their own space. It’s okay to like different things and each have their own thing. In a long distance relationship you get that space, for me personally it’s a little too much space.
  3. More than just physical- It takes you out of the realm of sexual attraction and lets you actually get to know the person. Also you don’t have to worry about if your partner is only with you for the physical stuff.
  4. Count down- It’s exciting to have a certain date that you get to see them, because the entire time you’ll be keeping track how many days are left till you get to see them. It’s part of what keeps you going.

Overall I applaud anyone who can be in a committed long distance relationship, whether it be 100 miles or 100,000 miles apart. It takes a lot of effort and time from both parties to make it work. It forms a different type of relationship too. It creates one that most likely will last longer and helps you grow as an individual.

I'm so glad fate brought us together Brandon, and I can’t wait to make more memories with you.