I'm Moving Away From My Boyfriend But That Doesn't Mean We're Breaking Up

Long distance or down the street, we're staying together.

975

Back in September, I applied and got accepted into the Disney College Program. This means I'll be away from my home state for four months, maybe six and a half if I apply and get accepted to extend my program. Being gone, I'm not only leaving my friends and family, but I'm leaving my boyfriend too.

A ton of people have asked me if we're going to break up and to set the record straight, the answer is NO.

Why would we even think about breaking up? It's only four months, and that's nothing. I blinked and we were already dating for four months. It's going to go by super quick.

On top of that, he supports me going and was beyond happy for me that I was accepted on the first try—not to brag or anything)! He wants me to go, not because he wants time apart, but because he knows that it's an amazing opportunity for me. He reminds me every time the Disney College Program comes up.

We both know that we're still going to talk to each other every day, or almost every day depending on my schedule. But we're both adults and can send a quick message to each other so that we know we aren't ignoring or forgetting about one another.

I think that a lot of long distance relationships don't work because of all this fake stuff people watch in movies and on TV—like no one is going to miss the most important business meeting of their life to have brunch with you...

One thing that I've noticed about people moving away and being in a relationship, is that they don't communicate. They don't communicate their worries and fears BEFORE they move, they don't do it during the move and if they are coming back soon they don't do it AFTER unless it's in a fight.

The thing about my boyfriend and I is that we've talked about what's going to happen when I have a crazy crazy schedule and it doesn't line up with his already busy schedule. We've talked about what's gonna happened when I leave and when I come back. We've talked about thing plenty of times and I think that we've for the most figured it out.

The other thing that I noticed with people going into long distance relationships is that they expect way too much and too many unrealistic things, and I think a lot of this comes from what is shown to us through social media.

I don't expect my boyfriend to jump on a plane every other weekend to come see me, and he doesn't expect that I do the same. We don't expect to have regular conversations like we do now, we both know that we might get a short window of opportunity to talk to each other depending on our schedules. We both know that it's going to be hours and hours before one of us replies to a text message. I don't expect him to send me a million and one packages. I don't expect him to drop everything to have a 10-minute phone call with me, and vice versa.

There are too many expectations and not enough communication, and I think that this is a huge problem when entering a long distance relationship. It's probably the reason so many people have asked me if we're breaking up or not. Yeah, it's going to be tough being away from each other, but we wouldn't be doing it if it wasn't worth it.

Oh and for the record for everyone who's asked me about us breaking up, even if something were to happen, guess what? We've already talked about it.

This is an opportunity not only for me but for him too and us together. So, yes, we're staying together but it's not like that was anyone's business anyway.