3 Ways to Keep A Long Distance Friendship Going

3 simple tricks to help long distance friends stay in contact

124
https://pixabay.com/en/freedom-travel-hiking-together-2768515/

Having my best friend move away was the hardest part of my highschool experience. We just clicked and she and I were inseparable, until she left the summer before our junior year. We went to school in California and she moved all the way to London.

I had never had a friend move away before and I was scared we wouldn't keep in touch but luckily I was wrong!

To this day we've stayed best friends and we talk every single day despite only seeing each other in person once a year.

I've had many people ask me about it since it can be extremely difficult to stay in contact with friends who have moved away.

Here are 3 simple tricks that have helped us stay in contact for the past 4 years:

1. Talk every day!

Even if you're just saying "hi" or "good morning", make the active effort to reach out once every single day. It doesn't have to be a long conversation or even a deep one, but taking the time to do this simple thing goes a long way.

2. It’s all in the details.

When you guys do have time to have long conversations, it's important to talk about the details. Since you guys can't hang out every day anymore, it's necessary to keep them updated on the small moments in your life. Be sure to go into detail and clearly explain different situations that they otherwise wouldn't know.

3. Go out of your way to see each other when possible.

Even if it takes three different trains and two separate Ubers, meet up in person!! There's nothing like seeing your best friend again after it's been so long. Traveling can be hard, but trust me, it's all worth it. Go out of your way to make sure you can have those precious in real life moments whenever you can.

Distance is hard, but it shouldn't prevent you from living your best life with your best friend by your side.