An Open Letter to My Best Friend That Lives Across the World

My Best Friend May Live On The Other Side Of The World, But Nothing Can Separate Us

Although we haven't met yet, I know everything will fall into place when we do.

313

Dear Hannah,

Sometimes when I don't feel like paying attention in class or when I'm trying to go to sleep at night, I dream about the day when one of us gets off the plane after flying for ten hours just to finally hug each other tightly. I've known you for two years now. Two years may not seem like a long time, but when it comes to not seeing your best friend, it seems as if a lifetime has gone by.

Sometimes it feels like it won't ever happen. We're both in college, are working basic jobs that are only good enough to help us buy those Fila shoes we've always wanted or to pay for gas for our cars, and are merely busy in every aspect with our own separate priorities we have in different countries.

But, I know we want this to happen so much that we'll make it happen, and when that day comes, it'll be so worth the wait.

It'll let us finally drive around each other's neighborhoods and blast our favorite music (preferably Lorde, Tyler the Creator and Rex Orange County… all compromised on our playlist that we share), take each other to our favorite restaurants, stores, parks, and most importantly, be utterly stupid together and make each other laugh until we're crying.

Most importantly, it'll let us finally be each other's presence rather than through a phone screen.

You've been there for probably most of my most exciting moments. You never failed to cheer me on and make me feel like I can actually do anything I set my mind to.

I'll never forget when we FaceTimed each other for the very first time. It was so natural. If anyone were watching me talk to you from afar, it would appear as if I'd known you my whole life. I'll never forget when you finally met our favorite artist at her concert and telling me all about it. I'll never forget when you sent me a bouquet of my favorite roses for my eighteenth birthday and the beautiful letter that came along with it. I'll never forget telling you that I got accepted to my dream college. I'll never forget when I first asked my mom about possibly visiting you, the "maybe" reply I got from her, and the excitement in both of our voices when I called you to tell you about it.

You're my absolute best friend, the friend I've been searching for my whole life, and the sister I never had.

I can't wait to do everything we constantly talk about doing together. I can't wait for you to show me your life, and for me to show you mine.

I can't wait to meet you.

Love always, Rachel