Long Distance Friendships

Having A Best Friend On The Other Side Of The World Is A Blessing And Torture

They are the most glorious blessing the universe could ever gift to you.

94

It's almost midnight, and I am sat in bed with the feeling of something missing. Not a lover or some emotional stability. No, it's nothing like that. What's missing from my heart is the easiest, yet also the hardest, thing to obtain. See I have a best friend, but this friend lives on the other side of the world. Specifically, in Finland in my case.

Having a best friend on the other side of the world is a blessing, but also torture. It's great because when you're with them you can learn all about their culture. If you ever go an visit their country, then you have someone you know already there. They give you a reason to travel to these new places. At the same time, you don't get to be with them every day. It's hard to call them out of no where because you can't be sure of their schedule. You guys don't get to go places together and experience life together. At least on a regular basis.

My friend and I were inseparable when he was here. I never did anything without asking him to come along. We had lunch and dinner together just about every day. And because of this we became such great friends. We shared so many moments together. Some moments were great and filled with joy. Others were dark and scary. Nonetheless, all of it brought us closer. And I can confidently say that I'm closer to him than I am a lot of other people.

However, he only stayed for a few months. The day he left was one of the saddest days of my life. And I know, be glad it happened instead of being sad because it's coming to a close. I knew this then as I know it now. However, it doesn't dull the sadness sometimes. There are days when I just wish he was here to experience something with me. There were so many things I wanted to show him. There are some days when I just wish we could get lunch together one more time and talk out all of our problems and emotions. And there's never a day that goes by when I don't miss him.

Even though I have these sad days, like the one I'm having right now, does not mean I would take it all back for peace of mind and heart. Even though I have hard days, they never amount to the joy and happiness my friend brought to me. I would never trade those days for anything, even though they were few in the grand scheme of life. Those memories mean more to me than anything else the universe could have offered me during that time period. I wouldn't change it for the world.

Having a best friend on the other side of the world is one of the hardest things you may ever experience. At the same time, they are the most glorious blessing the universe could ever gift to you. So take them and give them a long hug. Plan trips to see each other in the future and never loose touch.