London Lessons

London Lessons

Things I Did Not Expect To Learn While Overseas

3
London Lessons
Jessica Gleason

In 2015, I had my first chance to visit the great city of London. Here's what I learned!

1. People from all over the world tend to really dislike Americans. In watching the way American tourists acted, I completely understood why. The impression others are getting is a very poor one. We (my posse) were often mistaken as being some sort of Slavic, and we were good with that.

2. The Queen's English is as beautiful as I'd hoped. The grammar is awesome, and the language is more precise than what we use in America. Even the colloquial terms were great. I think I'll just keep using them.

3. The public transportation is astounding. There is no need for a car, ever. The tube will get you close enough to anything you'd like to do. If not, a bus will. Then you walk. You can tell a local from a tourist by their walking pace. Londoners are always walking at a brisk pace, focused and goal oriented. Tourists are not.

4. London is both clean and dirty. There are cameras watching you at all times. So littering is at a minimum. But it is an old city and the air is not always clean. The tap water is not always drinkable... or they advise against it. Water is mostly bottled and comes in two varieties, still and sparkling. If you don't specify, you receive sparkling.

5. Food. Good. End of story. It doesn't matter where you eat. The food is always fresh, natural and largely organic. There are no additives and minimal preservatives, if any. As someone with severe diet restrictions and digestive issues, I was worried about food. I ate everything that I wanted. I ate food I've not had in years. I had zero digestive issues the entire time. I didn't have as much as a tummy ache or gas the entire time I was there. I think our food is made of poison. It's insane.

6. Jobs in London are plentiful, but don't always pay well. The tourist market is booming, but the cost of city life is very expensive. So there are many who struggle to get by or live on the streets. This isn't as bad outside of the city though. We went on a Jack The Ripper tour one evening and crossed paths with three other tour groups doing the same thing. So, the city can sustain four Ripper tour companies at once... and it's lucrative. Thirty people at ten pounds a pop is three hundred pounds a night (about 450 American) for two hours of your time. That doesn't even include tips. I am considering a career change...

7. You cannot see all of London in five days... or forty. If you really want to experience all London has to offer, go live there for a year. If you get that chance, take it. Seriously.

8. The police force is both friendly and humane, all while being effective. In waiting to take pictures with the last police box in London, we encountered a homeless man who had set up his box home in front of the police box. There were four bobbies talking with him and trying to get him into their bus. They let him eat a sandwich, drink a beer and pack his belongings all before cuffing him and taking him away. While in the process, another homeless man started screaming and got in one of their faces. They calmly spoke to him and went along with their business. It was interesting to watch.

9. The city was very safe and felt like home. There were many times when it seemed like we were in Chicago. Being a Chicago girl, I felt safe and comfortable. We wandered in and out of good and poor economic areas. Crime was pretty minimal. There are pick pockets, but the big stuff is under control. One night their major crime story was that a man had walked into a bank with a note that said he was robbing the place and to give him money. The teller pressed the 999 button and told him no. He walked out. End of story.

10. London is a city full of imported people. We encountered very few natives. Many shops are run by foreigners. Most service industry workers were from other countries as well. Think Epcot, but on a city wide scale. I didn't expect that.

11. Communication skills are a must. Intercultural communication is important. Understanding their norms will help you to communicate. It really is the perfect place to take my students.

12. The work day in London starts later than our own and ends later as well. They go to work at nine or ten AM and leave between six and seven. The tubes and pubs are FULL UP after work (which is also called pre-theater). As far as I could tell, there was no bar time. Most pubs closed between ten and eleven PM. But ones on the heart of the city might stay open all night (I didn't actually check it out). I'm unsure if there is a drinking age, but you need to be eighteen to purchase alcohol at the grocery store. Drunk driving is less of a problem there and the penalties are much greater than they are here. It seems effective. With public transport so readily accessible, there is no reason to drink and drive. Mind the gap!

The London eye was neat. The waking tours are worth going on. Sainsbury, Costa and Pret A Manger are readily accessible and offer cheap food. Costumes are common. Pies and fish are must tries. It's a great city. I was tempted to stay. If I disappear one day, check London first.