Why Logging Out For A Day Is Beneficial

Why Logging Out For A Day Is Beneficial

Social media has become toxic to mental health.

5
https://pixabay.com/photos/smartphone-screen-social-media-2123520/

Over the past few weeks, I've seen people post on their Snapchat stories and other social media platforms that they will be logging out of social media for a while. Seeing this, I got the idea that I should, too, since I've been needing a cleanse.

Last week, I decided to log out for a day and see how much it improved my mood.

So, I logged out of Snapchat and Instagram and only kept Twitter because I can't live without it. At first, it was kind of hard because I was kind of bored, but as the day went on and I got busier, I didn't feel the need to even check my phone.

At the end of the day, I checked in with myself and I felt a lot better after not having to see what other people were up to. My mind felt clear and I wasn't comparing my day to anyone else's.

After this one day, social media free, I've decided that I'll be logging out of all social media (except Twitter, of course) for at least one day each week. Sometimes, I may do even more because it feels THAT good to be away from everyone else.

Nowadays, social media has completely taken over peoples' lives. Instead of going outside for some fresh air or doing homework, everyone is scrolling through their timelines and not getting shit done. Not only is social media a waste of time, but it makes people compare themselves to others. Not only do people compare their bodies to a social media influencer's body, but we've also started to compare lives and feel bad when we see famous 17-year-olds in Hawaii "for business."

Now, I'm not shaming the influencers because we all know that's a lot of work to get to where they are. I'm just saying that social media is toxic to mental health. Honestly, it felt good to not compare myself to other people's lives or days for a day, and I definitely will log out more often. I suggest you do it, too, if you're looking for a nice cleanse.

Not only will you be more productive, but you'll also feel better about yourself.