You Can't Participate In 'Locker Room Talk' & Respect Women

You Can't Participate In 'Locker Room Talk' And Claim You Respect Women At The Same Time

That's just not how it works.

48
everypixel.com

We have heard it time after time "don't take it too seriously, it's just locker room talk" or "boys will be boys" in defense of men blatantly disrespecting women in all industries, and quite frankly, it is a bunch of bullshit.

We have all seen it, whether it be coworkers at work, fellow students, professors, etc. These people might not think we notice or pick up on their derogatory comments but trust me, we do.

But you know why a lot of the time nobody says anything? Because believe it or not - that might actually make it worse.

We live in a world where, unfortunately, and for unknown reasons, men have the upper hand. Because of this, they think that they can get away with doing whatever they want, being disrespectful, and ignoring policies and rules. Why do they think this, you ask? Because it happens every. single. day. and they do get away with it.

I've only been out of college and working full time for about one year, and in that year I have already witnessed countless sexist comments, derogatory words and actions, and the infamous "locker room talk".

At first, I was completely shocked that this kind of stuff was actually happening right in front of my face. Then I noticed that it happens all the time not only near me, but I started to notice it everywhere I went.

It actually disgusts me that someone would think it is okay to talk about your coworker, student, teammate, bandmate, whatever situation, in such a demeaning way, and not only that but to do it with no hesitation!

In these situations, we have to start stepping up and taking initiative to figure out how to make the culprits take responsibility for their actions. It is not now, and it never will be okay to participate in this kind of bullying.

Our voices matter, and it's important to stick up for your friends and your colleagues, or even random strangers if you see this taking place. Of course do it in a nice, professional, and respectful way, but please do it.

Locker room talk and the acceptance of it will never stop if we don't help to stop it. I want to live in a world where my daughters don't have to deal with injustice in the workplace and I will do everything in my power to make that happen, even if it's as simple as standing up against men and their locker room talk.