12 Things Only True San Diegans Can Relate To

A Local In The Finest City In America

342
Riya Pandit

1. San Diego County Fair? You mean the Del Mar Fair.

This fair that takes place on the Del Mar Fairgrounds every summer has the official title of San Diego County Fair, but every local knows it’s just the “Del Mar Fair”. In fact, if you call it San Diego County Fair, you just told us you’re from out of town.

2. We’re very spoiled- and you will be too.

Like me, if you are too born and raised in San Diego, then you are spoiled. You complain when the temperature is anything below 75 degrees and complain when it exceed 85 degrees. It’s a rare day when it rains (or sprinkles) and when it does everybody’s talking about it, there’s bumper to bumper traffic, and everybody suddenly everyone forgets how to drive. You can’t blame us for having a perfect climate all the time.

3. We have no concept of snow.

When all my friends from college went back to their hometown for Thanksgiving and Christmas, all I saw was blankets of snow on their Snapchat stories. A native San Diegan who has never lived anywhere else has no idea how to live in snow or has experienced a life with it. Snow days? Snow tires? Snow chains? Shoveling snow? Nope, the closest thing we have to snow is the sand on the beach. :)

4. You miss out on the hot concerts.

Living in San Diego means that you have to go out of your way to see the best artists because they come to LA and conveniently skip over San Diego. But... I guess it’s worth the notorious drive up to LA to see 6 God running through the six with his woes.

5. You grew up listening to "Geena the Latina" on Channel 933.

Whether you carpooled to school, took the bus, or got dropped by your parents or a sibling, you listened to Geena the Latina’s “Big Scoop which was brought to you by San Diego County Credit Union.. It’s not big bank banking, it’s better.” You know exactly what Ovation Hair Therapy is and how much Geena loves it. Your heart broke when Frankie V left, but your spirit returned with Steve Kramer. You always looked forward to the Summer Kick Off Concert and didn’t mind the grass all over your feet and inside your socks after the concert was over.

6. You had snow days, we had fire days.

The Cedar Fire in 2003 burned more than 280,000 acres and the California Wildfires in 2007, which had about 9,000 separate wildfires, burned about 1 million acres. It was a terrifying time for many families lost their homes, precious memories and valuables. The fact of the matter is that as a student growing up in San Diego, the only reason school would get canceled if there was a wildfire. Unfortunate, but true.

7. You’re used to the Chargers taking major L’s.. but you still go to Qualcomm Stadium every year.

Enough said. It is tough to be a die-hard Chargers fan but as a true San Diegan, regardless of how many times we lose, we’ll still love you, Chargers.

Edit: The LA Chargers, now. See ya...

8. You’re probably just as bad a driver as the guy you just honked at.

Even though I aced my driving test and have never been pulled over, I’m a pretty offensive driver and it took me a good two years to admit it. Strangely enough, I figured out quickly that it is a universal rule down here that your blinker doesn’t matter, we surely abuse the “California Rolling Stop”, and maaaay cut you off once in awhile.

9. Going to Haunted Trails every October and December Nights every December.

In high school it was simply tradition that October calls for a squad trip to Haunted Trails and that in December you throw on your scarf and uggs, grab your camera and head over to Balboa Park to eat more calories and admire the beautiful lights while welcoming the Christmas Spirit.

10. It’s not “Cali.”

It’s just not. And there really isn’t an explanation for why it isn’t, but if you say “Cali” you’re definitely not from here. It's California. Period.

11. You know the “Phrase that Pays.”

The “Phrase” that is supposed to get you $500. Everybody who knows it never gets called and everybody who gets called, doesn’t know it. “Today’s hit music is on Z90.”

12. Thinking the Mormon Temple in La Jolla was actually Cinderella’s castle.

If you've lived in San Diego, you've definitely driven on the 805 and have almost gotten into an accident while trying to catch a glimpse of the most magnificent, beautiful temple La Jolla has to offer. As a kid, I seriously thought this was a secret location Disneyland never advertised. That's how gorgeous this is, seriously.