The Best Local Eats In Top-Ranked Sarasota

Sarasota was ranked No. 14 for food in the nation and has a lineup of local favorites to back it.

310

Sarasota, Florida has taken the prize for not only having one of the best beaches in the nation but also for the best eats. According to Conde Nast Traveler, Sarasota is ranked No. 14 in the best food cities in the United States. With the 15th and final city being Palm Beach, these Florida cities were ranked among renown food capitals such as Las Vegas, Chicago and New Orleans.

Sarasota is known for appealing to tourists expecting high quality food for a hefty bill, but locals like myself insist that the best restaurants aren't the always the tourist hot spots. For those looking to satisfy their inner foodie while in the SRQ, here are just a few of the amazing eats locals swear by.

The Old Salty Dog

Known for its appearance on "Man V. Food" on the Travel Channel, this waterfront restaurant and pub can be found on both Siesta Key and Longboat Key. The Old Salty Dog is my favorite place to visit for seafood because of its breathtaking view of Sarasota Bay and their quality seafood offerings. This Sarasota staple is known for their deep fried dogs that can be adorned with a variety of toppings.

Sarasota Farmer's Market

Displaying FullSizeRender.jpgThe Farmer's Market is the place to be on Saturday mornings in Downtown Sarasota. Locals and tourists alike love this market because of the fresh produce and seafood, local vendors and good eats. From crepes to tamales and everything in between, the Sarasota Farmer's Market offers something for everyone.

The Hob Nob

The Hob Nob is Sarasota's oldest drive in and home of the best burgers in town. The Hob Nob offers classic dinner eats like hand spun milk shakes and my favorite burgers in town. For locals, this place often holds fond memories for generations of loyal customers.

The Big Olaf

Hands down the best ice cream in Sarasota can be found at the Big Olaf. The Big Olaf's delectable ice cream flavors are made with fresh ingredients by Amish craftsmen. Their waffle cones and fudge are made in house and with the most delicious ingredients, the quality of their products is apparent in the flavor of their ice cream. It's first location on Siesta Key can be see with a line wrapping around the building at any time of the year.

The Tea House

All tea enthusiasts will fall in love with the wide variety of teas at the Tea House. This oasis can be found in a small blue cottage near Downtown Sarasota and offers every type of tea imaginable. The freshly brewed tea is served either iced, hot or along with a variety of pastries. The Tea House has the most comfy, cozy, bohemian vibes because of its eccentric decor.

Yoder's Restaurant

Sarasota is distinctively known for its large Amish population and the culinary influence they've had on the city. Yoder's is one of Sarasota's most loved Amish restaurants found in Amish Village and has the most amazing pies. This hot spot was also featured on "Man V Food" for their home-style cooking and delectable pies.

LeLu's Coffee Lounge

LeLu's is one of my favorite hangout spots on Siesta Key and is a coffee-lovers dream. They're known for their Coconut Mocha beverage along with offering coffee and espresso beverages. LeLu's also had fresh smoothies, pastries and a full bar.

Munchies 420 Cafe

The most unique restaurant in the SRQ is hands down Munchies 420 Cafe. Their name offers an accurate description of their hours of 4:20 p.m. to 4:20 a.m. Munchies 420 Cafe offers the ultimate munchies and hangover remedies like all day breakfast, wings, Fat sandwiches and hot dogs. Munchies conveniently delivers for those wishing to fulfill late night cravings.

Anna's Deli

While all Floridians love Pub Subs, Sarasotians are loyal to Anna's sandwiches that was founded on Siesta Key. This deli offers ginormous specialty sandwiches that are characterized by the best bread, their special sauce and an abundance of ingredients.

Walt's Fish Market

Walt's is a distinct part of Sarasota's history and has remained the best place for the freshest seafood in Sarasota since 1918. Besides offering a seafood market, this restaurant offers some of the best seafood dishes and a welcoming environment.

Sarasota truly is the ultimate destination for unique destinations to satisfy your inner foodie. The list of local favorites is endless but these are just a few places that are distinctive to Sarasota.