10 Local Businesses To Support In Northwest Chicago Suburbs

10 Local Businesses That Need Your Support During The Coronavirus Crisis In The Northwest Suburbs Of Chicago

A list of just some of the local businesses that mean a lot to my family, and I only want to pay them back with the endless support they deserve during this time.

1546

At this point, COVID-19 has impacted every single one of our lives in multiple ways. Our social lives have certainly been affected, but one of the biggest downfalls for many people has been economically. Many people, including my own family, have had to adapt to new working situations, whether that is working for home or even worse, suffering some sort of furlough or unemployment.

There is so much uncertainty during this time.

But, what I do know is that eventually, the show must go on and we are going to have to return to some sense of routine and normalcy.

To be honest, I am very concerned for not only my family and friends, but also for many of the small businesses that I mean the most to me. There have already been some casualties to some of my favorites, which have been super upsetting. If we can all collectively do anything to support others during this time, the first and most important thing would, of course, be to stay home and stop the spread of the virus.

If you have the means, consider donating or showing your support to some of your favorite local businesses.

Below, I list some small business in my hometown out of the Northwest suburbs of Chicago that could be in need of some business right now. I want to preface this list by saying that I'm aware that depending on where you live, these businesses certainly won't be applicable to you. I think I can speak for most people when I say that unfortunately, the farthest ventures people are taking right now is to a local restaurant for curbside pickup, mainly because I think that people are just nervous to go any farther than that.

So please keep in mind the businesses I am sharing are around my corner.

If you don't live near these places, I encourage you all to find similar businesses that you can support in your local area.

So with that in mind, here is a list of just some of the places that mean a lot to me and my family as potential businesses to consider showing your support to if you live in the area. These places have great tasting food, in addition to being great partners of my local community.

1. Charlie Beinlich's

Charlie Beinlich's is by far the BEST burger I've ever had in my entire life, like my mouth is watering just thinking about it. You may have never heard of it, probably because it's a tiny little dump off the side of the road. But in my head, Beinlich's is just about the definition of a quintessential small business, and I think the dumpy charm of the restaurant only makes it better.

They are a family-owned business, they only take cash, and their menu is pretty much just a plain ol' hamburger. I fear that if they don't get enough business that they'll be forced to close, which would just about be the worst thing to happen to my family (if you think I'm being dramatic I'm not).

Charlie Beinlich's is available for curbside pickup.
290 Skokie Blvd, Northbrook, IL 60062
(847)-291-0420
https://www.charliebeinlichsfoodandtap.com/menu-1

2. Greg's Frozen Custard

Greg's is one of the first places to pop in my head when I think of summer. They are an outdoor ice cream stand with by far have some of the creamiest, most delicious custard. However, Greg's is only open from the end of March until Thanksgiving and because the outdoor scene is part of the reason why people love to go there, I can't imagine many people are wanting to venture out there right now in these Corona times.

I can't imagine my community without Greg's, mainly because it has turned into the ultimate high school hangout, but also because it truly makes everyone happy.

Greg's Frozen Custard is available for socially distanced pick-up.
1490 S Lake St
Mundelein, Illinois 60060
(847) 837-4175

3. Shalom Bakery

Shalom Bakery has been a huge part of my upbringing since I learned how to braid challah in preschool, and I think the same goes for many Jewish preschool prodigies. Shalom has been a staple in many homes for Jewish holidays as well as serving its products to many Jewish organizations across the Chicagoland area.

I don't really know any other place that produces products as efficiently and consistently in the area as Shalom Bakery, and I'm sure they need the business now more than ever. They are selling DIY cookie and cake decorating kits, pre-made challahs (all you have to do is bake yourself), as well as their regular pastry lineup (including bagels, rugelach, sprinkle cookies and more).

Shalom Kosher Bakery is available for online ordering, curbside pickup, or socially distanced in-store pickup.
1165 N Arlington Heights Rd
Buffalo Grove, IL 60089
(847) 808-9300
https://www.shalombakerybg.com/

4. Dorfler's Meat Market

Dorfler's is located about a five-minute drive from my house, serving some of the freshest, best-tasting meat to their loyal customers for years. My family purchases Dorfler's often, especially for our major holidays like Hanukkah and Passover. But as a privately owned business that does not traditionally sell their meat products in grocery stores, I can't imagine that they are in the best shape with their business right now. I do know that were kept quite busy during the holidays, but I'm worried about what will happen to them during their slower parts of the year.

Dorfler's is available for curbside pickup and contactless delivery.
1182 McHenry Rd
Buffalo Grove, IL 60089
(847) 459-3060
http://www.dorflersmeats.com/

5. Deerfield's Bakery

Deerfield's Bakery has been special to my family for years. When we were younger, we used to bike to Deerfield Bakery over the summer to get breakfast. I love all of their products ranging from their cakes and sweet treats all the way to their EGGcellent breakfast options, but their pretzel donut has to be my absolute favorite.

I feel like most breakfast restaurants have been unable to sustain themselves during this time, as many people aren't really rushing to get takeout or delivery for brunch. But Deerfield's Bakery has kept the bakery section of their business open, continuing to decorate and bake all their yummy desserts. However, I think I am most impressed by their creative idea to create DIY cookie decorating kits, giving parents both a fun activity to do with their kids in addition to a delicious treat!

Deerfield's Bakery is open for curbside pickup and contactless delivery.
201 N Buffalo Grove Rd
Buffalo Grove, IL 60089
(847) 520-0068
https://www.deerfieldsbakery.com/en/

6. Original Bagel and Bialy

Original Bagel and Bialy, more commonly referred to in my household as "The Deli," has been our go-to for Jewish comfort food for years. We are huge fans of their bagels, tuna salad, lox, corned beef, ever famous "Hoppel Poppel," pretty much everything on their menu is delicious.

Not only that, but Original Bagel has also been very involved in my local community, doing their part at various fundraisers or PTO events throughout the years. I have already seen them doing tremendous work during this time, such as delivering food to hospitals and other essential workers. I know that they would be putting their money to good use if you choose to order from them.

Original Bagel and Bialy is open for curbside pickup and contactless delivery.
105 McHenry Rd
Buffalo Grove, IL 60089
(847) 808-0100
http://www.originalbagelandbialy.com/

7. Prairie House Tavern

My family has remained a fan of Prairie House through it all. I have always thought it to have a charming atmosphere and the food to be also really good. From delicious burgers to pizza to wraps to tacos, you really can't go wrong. Currently, they have been forced to furlough many of their employees due to not being open for dine-in.

They're currently serving food as well as booze for carryout and delivery, so I definitely recommend it. Or even leaving a small donation on their GoFundMe page to help their employees would also be appreciated. They have also been serving food to furloughed and first responder families, which again is remarkable.

Prairie House is open for curbside carryout and delivery via UberEats and DoorDash.
2710 N Main St
Buffalo Grove, IL 60089
(847) 415-2255
https://www.prairiehousetavern.com/

8. Yen Yen Restaurant

Yen Yen (the one located in Arlington Heights...NOT Buffalo Grove because yes there is a clear difference) has been my family's go-to Chinese restaurant since I was young. Their egg rolls, crab rangoon, fried rice, chow fun noodles, egg foo young, pan-fried noodles, and especially their sweet and sour sauce (my family literally has dreams about it) are some of our absolute favorite dishes.

As a small business that could potentially hit harder by the Coronavirus crisis due to possible discrimination, I hope that people are paying extra attention to all Chinese restaurants right now.

Yen Yen is open for curbside pickup or delivery via DoorDash.
4226 N Arlington Heights Rd
Arlington Heights, IL 60004
(847) 259-3400
http://www.yenyenrestaurant.com/

9. Continental Restaurant

Continental is a restaurant that is very special to my family, and we have remained loyal customers since the day it opened. My mom went with her family when it first opened, and I have been eating there for as long as I can remember. We are on a first-name basis with the friendly owner Pete, as well as many of the servers who have worked there in the past. Not only is it the place that first comes to mind when I think of comfort food, but it was also the place I've celebrated many milestones, and not to mention brunches with my cousins and grandparents.

My personal favorite things on the menu are their brunch items like their skillets, their famous matzo ball soup, and even a tuna sandwich on a bagel, but you really can't go wrong with anything they have there as they are open all day long. I would even just pay to have one of their bread baskets right now lol. I've seen the Continental preparing meals for essential workers, as well as work to raise funds for their employees via their GoFundMe page.

Continental is open for curbside pickup or trunk placement.
788 S Buffalo Grove Rd
Buffalo Grove, Illinois 60089
(847) 459-4095
https://www.continental-restaurant.net/menus/

10. "Lettuce Entertain You" Restaurants

I know what you're thinking: Lettuce Entertain You is NOT a small business. In fact, they are a booming cohort of well-known, high-end, and freaking fabulous tasting food. Wildfire, Saranello's, L-Wood's, Stella Barra, and Hub 51 are just some of my personal favorites (in addition to every other Lettuce restaurant I've been to, seriously you can't go wrong here).

While I never would have thought of them to be a business in need of dire help right now, I was surprised to learn that they have had to furlough and/or let go of many of their employees, in particular, waiters/waitresses and hosts/hostesses as there are no dine-in options right now. As a high-end restaurant serving many customers day in and day out, these employees likely rely on these restaurants as their sole income. Besides ordering from one of their amazing restaurants, consider also donating to The Lettuce Entertain You Employee Relief Fund.

Make sure to visit https://www.leye.com/ for individual hours and procedures for each of their restaurants.