Living With A Parent Who Has Multiple Sclerosis

Because everything happens for a reason.

25
my own photo

I can particularly recall one of the first times I learned about my mom and her diagnosis. I was in elementary school when my dad sat my sister and I down and explained to us that my mom was sick. I did not know exactly what this meant at the time, but all I can remember him telling us was that we have to help my mother out whenever she needed and to be there for her.

I never knew what my mom was like before she was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis because I was born two years after the fact. But despite that, I grew up with my mom always making sure that she was there for every sporting event and dance recital. She taught my sister and I everything we know about how to cook homemade meals, clean up after ourselves, and of course how to get the best deals at Nordstrom. My mom always made sure that I always had everything I needed and more. I never felt as if her disease made her any less of a mom.

Most times, a person cannot physically tell if a person is living with Multiple Sclerosis due to the fact that it is a neurological disease. But, when you live with a parent or a loved one that has this unfortunate disease it becomes clear how draining it can be on them. My mom has her good days and her bad ones. She forgets easily, occasionally loses balance, gets overwhelmingly exhausted, experiences vertigo and does not have much hand-eye coordination. But regardless of her exhausting symptoms she has been a mother who goes above and beyond to give me and the rest of my family unconditional love and support just like any other healthy mom.

As I got older I realized what kind of debilitating effect Multiple Sclerosis has on my mom. As much as I would have loved to have known what she was like before she was diagnosed, I know that I always have to keep positive because things can always be worse. Of course, there are the days where I ask myself “why me?” or “why my mom?” It always comes back to me telling myself that there are just some things that we do not have any control over, and unfortunately this is one of those things.

I hope that in my lifetime I see a cure for this disease. If you live with a parent with M.S. you know how frustrating it can be when it comes to them taking their medicine. When my mom takes her weekly shot it wears her out for the next couple of days until she is able to recuperate again. With technology and medicine at its peak, it is aggravating to see that there is not more that could be done for M.S. patients.

My mom has been my No. 1 supporter and best friend my entire life. Her disease has never stopped her from being an amazing mom or wife that any kid or husband could possibly ask for.