Everyone Should Live With Their Best Friends At Least Once

When else in our lives will we be able to live with our best friends?

54
https://www.pexels.com/photo/grayscale-photography-of-four-women-wearing-clothes-1065081/

I've always heard that you should never live with your best friends because you will end up hating them, and instead you should live with either a random roommate in college or someone you barely know. I find this to be completely the opposite of what to do when choosing someone to live with.

During my freshman year, I found a roommate on the Facebook class of 2021 group that Michigan State University has, and I thought that we would be super compatible. Since I'm from South Dakota and she is from Michigan, I thought that it would be nice to get to know each other and learn all about what we like and don't like. I also thought this would be the perfect opportunity to get in with a crowd of people from Michigan that I would always be able to hang out with, and it was a bonus that it followed the advice I'd gotten to get a random roommate my freshman year.

Well, long story short - it was a pretty mutual understanding between me and my freshman roommate by the end of the year that we weren't very fond of each other. Neither of us wanted to be in the room at the same time as the other and the amount of passive aggressive comments made back and forth was astounding. Not to say that she was at fault - we just didn't get along.

But do you know who turns out to be amazing roommates? Close friends. You spend all your time together anyways and know everything about each other, so it makes so much more sense to just live with them. That's not to say that you won't ever have disagreements or fight. You will for sure. But at the end of the day, you know that you love them and that you chose to live with them for a reason. It's easier to accept the annoying things about someone you already love rather than someone you just met or barely know because then it doesn't seem like the end of the world.

This school year, I get to live with some of the best people that I met during my freshman year, and I'm super excited about it. I've been going on and on about it to my parents since we signed our housing contract all the way back in November 2017, not knowing if we would even be friends by the end of the school year in May. The thing about living with your friends is that it almost seems like an opportunity that we take for granted. When else in our lives will we be able to live with our best friends? Up until now, we have lived with our families, then our random roommates, and someday we will either live on our own or with our significant other. So, I suggest that if you have the choice of living with your best friends, someone random or someone you barely know, pick your best friends. In the end, it will bring you even closer.