The Pros And Cons Of Living Alone

The Pros and Cons of Living Alone

I've only lived in an apartment alone for a few months now, but I have still learned some of the good and bad things about it in that short time.

358
The Pros and Cons of Living Alone
https://pixabay.com/en/cake-coffee-food-drink-table-2597040/

Living alone in a city you've never been to before can be strange, especially if, like me, it's your first time living alone where you know nobody and you're used to being around either friends or family all of the time. These are my pros and cons of living alone.

Pro: The Quiet Time

Coming from a house of five other family members, going to a quiet apartment was quite a change. It was definitely a good time, I could have peace and quiet before demanding it from my siblings. I didn't need to lock myself in my room to read or study. The constant quiet has been really calming at times when I need it to be.

Con: The Loneliness

This is the negative aspect of the quiet time. Though most of the time I like being alone, sometimes I think it would be nice to come home to a roommate and rant to someone about my day with all of the negative and positive things that happened to me.

Sometimes I want someone to be there to talk to when I've had a long day, or even just somebody to watch movies with and eat junk food with at night. There's something about talking and ranting to people in person that's just better than explaining over text or Snapchat.

Pro: The Independence

This being the first time I was living alone, it was definitely different to not always have somebody there to rely on. I was forced into adulthood faster than I have been before, having to pay for every single one of my meals and going to places alone most of the time before I met my friends, it was more than I was used to.

It was a good thing most of the time, because I needed to be on my own and learn these things, so in the end, it was beneficial.

Con: Adulting

Although the independence is mostly nice, as someone who hates adulting with a passion, it's not the best at times. When I have questions that usually my mom or dad could easily answer, I have to go through the process of figuring it out on my own or waiting for a text back from my parents.

Like I said before, it's good for me to learn these things on my own, but sometimes the effort I have to put in to be an adult can really suck.

Pro: You Can Watch and Listen to What You Want

I've loved the freedom of being able to watch and listen to what I want while living alone. Before, I always had to either wait for the TV to be free or put in my headphones in order to not disturb my family with my range of music.

Now, I can blare music as loud as I want, sing as loud as I want, have a random dance party whenever I want, and binge-watch whatever I want, relatively speaking. I still have neighbors in the apartments, but this freedom to watch and listen to what I want at my own discretion is a freedom I didn't know how much I needed until I lived alone.

Con: The Cost

This is a big one, a reason where people usually have roommates, even if they are complete strangers. The cost of an apartment goes up if you live alone, especially because nobody is there to split the bills with you.

You're all on your own to support yourself, so you have to make sure you have enough money to pay for your entire bill, plus internet and electricity and every other cost to live.

Pro: Easier to Keep Clean

As a person who needs where I live to be clean, this is a huge positive for me. Now, I only have to clean one set of dishes, and I don't let dishes stack up on the sink since I am the only one using them.

The only stuff that needs to be picked up off the ground is my own, and once I get it, it's clean, and I don't have to wait on anyone else to help me out. It's also just a lot harder for things to get really dirty as long as you're someone who picks up after yourself. If not, good luck to you.

Con: Nobody to Help You Out

Going back to the fact that I'm not too great at adulting, this is a negative for me. If there is a spider that needs to be killed, I no longer have someone to yell at to come and save me.

If something breaks, I'm left to either just toss it, cry, or look up what to do in that situation (possibly all of the above). Also, nobody is here to cook for me, and as someone who doesn't do too well in the kitchen, that means I'm stuck with a diet of cereal, ramen noodles, and endless sandwiches.

Not only do I not know how to cook very well, but I also don't have the time to actually prepare a meal anymore.

Pro: Freedom!

Overall, the most exciting thing about living alone was just the freedom aspect of it. From what I eat, to what I watch, to what I listen to, to what I do with my time, it's all up to me now. That can get scary and/or boring at times, but overall it's been a new experience that I've learned a lot from.

Here are just a few good and bad things about living alone. If you can handle the bills and the quiet, and you need a break from people, then I would recommend it! If you're broke and have friends, then I recommend getting yourself a roommate so that someone can go through these adulting difficulties with you.