Live Simply So That You May Simply Live

Live Simply So That You May Simply Live

Life consists of so much more than what we see.

2111
Live Simply So That You May Simply Live
Tumblr

You have probably seen the quote from Mahatma Gandhi saying, “Live simply so that others may simply live." I love the power this quote possesses. Instead of spending our excess time, money and talents to increase our own riches and comfort, it challenges us to live in a way that allows us to give our excess gifts to others who need them more than we do. Volunteering more, praying more, donating more and loving more all for the good of other people. I love to image what the world would be like if we all lived with that mindset. I think it’d be a much more peaceful, joyful world.

Today, I’d like to bring up a little addendum to this quote, suggesting to “live simply so that you may simply live." I find so often that I get caught up in the happenings of the world and I forget that just being alive is a gift that must not be taken for granted. Our world pushes the importance of having more money, more beauty, more success, more things. It’s gotten to the point that we’re willing to spend $300 on a purse, but cringe at the idea of donating a dollar or two at Mass on Sundays. Or, maybe we do still donate a lot of our time and treasure to the Church or organizations in need, but still find ourselves swimming in material items and unimportant success or reputation.

The more we buy, the more we are obsessed with power, and the more we build ourselves upon the idea of always being “more” in a world that is always making us feel like we are “less," the less time, energy and interest we have in simply being alive.

Live simply so that you may simply live.

I started to apply this little saying to my everyday life, and it’s made me realize the actual lack of significance most of the things with which I surround myself every day. It really doesn’t matter if I have the prettiest designer purse, the best makeup, or the most expensive clothing. It doesn’t matter if I find myself with more popularity than someone else or with the chicest living space.

We don’t need the material things of the world in order to live a life of true joy and wonder. Look at the saints, look at the people who have changed history, look at the happiest people we know - none of them derived their joy and energy and enthusiasm for life from the things they bought or the status they held. They lived simply. Many of the most inspirational people of history lived lives that consisted of little more than prayer, work, family, and friendships.

It’s always fun to buy new, fun things for ourselves, and there’s nothing wrong with that at all. But imagine how much fuller life could be if we cared a little less about the outward appearance of our lives and a little more about the taking care of our souls. What if we focused on developing true friendships, reading good literature, taking walks outside, smiling at strangers, going on adventures, traveling the world and having real conversations? We may find that living simply is just what we need in order to simply live, be alive and feel love.