Live Deeply

Live Deeply

Stop obsessing with being understood and start focusing on the beauty of letting others know you.

128
Live Deeply
Rachel Sullivan

Throughout our lives, we are constantly reminded of what life is supposed to be. We watch the romantic comedies with the fairy tale endings, we watch these "picture perfect" actresses and actors with envious eyes, and all the while we are wasting our own lives wishing for a life that doesn't exist. We watch these movies and stalk these celebrities because we want our lives to be like theirs, but with every thought that has ever crossed your mind about wishing your life was different, think about if you chose to be present in your own life instead.

Choosing to be present in your own life, even when it's hard, can make a difference in what kind of person you are and what kind of life you live. I've spent most of my life so far wishing I had another life, wishing I was more understood, wishing I was more loved, wishing to belong. As I look back now, I see that no one is going to understand you the way you wish to be understood (other than Jesus of course), and that's okay. If you have individuals in your life willing to listen to your thoughts and feelings, cherish them. Do not obsess over being understood because you will always be disappointed. Instead, focus on the beauty of letting someone get to know you. No matter who you are, or what you think of yourself, I guarantee it is a privilege for those in your life to know you.

I say these next few words knowing that they may be hard to hear for some of you, but you should always, always know that there is someone in this world who loves you. Again, I've spent a long time wishing to be more loved, and the whole time I spent wishing, the more blind I became to those who did love me. I was surrounded by family and friends whose love I took for granted too many times because I was so obsessed with this fairy tale life I've read all about and that I've seen play out on movie screens. Books and movies are an awesome escape from this overwhelming life, but sometimes you have to close the books, shut off the TV, and just be present. Create the life you ache for, and although it's never going to be perfect, it will be beautiful. Nothing beautiful is perfect, remember that. You are beautiful, and you are loved.

Enjoy this life and know that it is temporary. Fill it with as much joy and laughter as possible. Stop editing your photos on Instagram and Facebook, and let the world see that beauty radiates through imperfections. Love yourself, love your life, and love those around you with such force that they have no other choice but to feel it. And if you feel like you don't belong here, it's because you don't. We all don't belong here, God gave us a limited life here, and He will call us all home when we are ready. So live deeply, feel deeply, love deeply, drown others in your joy, and let them sink into your freedom. Life is so short, and we don't realize it until it's too late, so be thankful. Be thankful for heartbreak, be thankful for tears, be thankful for struggles, be thankful for this painful, messy and beautiful life because where would you be without it?

As long as your heart is still beating, be present. Take a step back from the moment you are in, and make sure you are in it and not outside of it. Stop letting your camera phone steal away beauty from your eyes, let your eyes take the pictures and your memory store the photos. The only way to truly be present in this life is to be absent from the chains of social media, be set free in knowing you lived without the need of proving it. Go into today with hope, with passion, and with a deep love for everything.