These little things do so much to improve my mood.
Health Wellness

A Definitive List Of All The Little Things That Make Me Happy

Don't overlook the small things in life that affect your moods.

156
Hayley Garron

Sometimes, the world moves around us so fast that we don't stop to think about whether or not we are really happy in our lives. I have come to appreciate little daily things in my life that make me happy, and I thought that I'd share them with you, so that maybe you can stop and take a little bit of time to find your happy corner too.

1. Listening to Music

depositphotos.com

I can't get through a day without listening to some form of music. Whether this is a concert or a consumption platform such as Spotify, I make it a point to spend some time listening to music every day. This is definitely the number one effective thing of keeping me in a happy mood.

2. Going to Concerts

Hayley Garron

This one goes along with listening to music. There is nothing like the feeling of pure adrenaline and goosebumps that I feel in the middle of a crowd at a concert. I live for this feeling, and I think this is when I am truly in my happiest element.

3. Reading a book

Hayley Garron

We tend to get lost in the actions of moving through every day, and never stop to take a break and dream. I love reading fiction as much as I love writing it. Since my mom forced me to read every day in third grade, it would be rare for me to move through an entire day without picking up a book. I love getting lost in a magical world, and not thinking about the daily stresses of life, even just for little snippets at a time. Often, reading is the last thing I do before I go to sleep at night.

4. Looking at the rain

https://unsplash.com/search/photos/raining

I love the mornings that I wake up to the rain and can just lay in my cozy bed listening to it for a little bit. There is something so peaceful that the rain offers, and it puts me in a relaxed state of mind for the day.

5. Going on walks

Hayley Garron

I am lucky that I live in a place with access to bodies of water. The water is my happy place, and I often go for walks or jogs on trails near my house that are alongside water. Of course, I plug in and listen to music during the escapes, and the combination of the fresh air with my favourite playlist makes for a great mood.

6. Coffee

Hayley Garron

This may be the most basic thing on my list, but again it's a list of simple things that make me happy. Whether it's brewing myself a cup of coffee, or grabbing a cup at a local coffee shop, the days (most days) that I have a cup of coffee put me in such a good mood. I think it's the smell of the coffee and the experience that make me happy more than the actual coffee, but either way I look forward to having coffee in my daily routine.

7. Singing in the car

If I'm having a bad day, I make sure to sing extra loud in the car when I'm going somewhere. I love this feeling, when I'm releasing all of the pent-up stress built up from whatever caused it during the day. It's also just another excuse for me to listen to music, and dance in the car. My favourite moments are pulling up to a red light, and the person in the car next to you makes an absurd face at you for singing and dancing- because they know they do it too.

8. Spending time with friends and loved ones

Hayley Garron

I feel like I would get into so much trouble if I didn't include this one. But it is true; for as much as I love spending time alone in my own little world, being with friends and my favourite people makes me happy, and is an instant mood cure, especially because I don't want to be in a bad mood around them- no one wants to hang out with a Debby-downer.

9. Food

Hayley Garron

This one is either absurd, or the most relatable one, but good food always puts me in a better mood. Especially being a vegan, I must be creative with what I eat, and it's fun for me to plan meals or try new things when eating out.

10. Looking at constellations in the sky

Hayley Garron

My mom and I are obsessed with this app called Star Chart. Every time we are outside, and the stars are out, we instantly whip out this app on our phones, and look at the different constellations that are scattered across the sky. We get excited by seeing planets, and when we can recognize them without using the app.

11. YouTube & Instagram

Hayley Garron

I decided to combine these two into one- but I love scrolling through my social media feeds and seeing everyone else having a great time in life. This one is controversial, since you don't always know when someone's happiness online is being faked, but genuine posts- at least the ones from my friends- I am pretty good at spotting, and I love seeing what everyone else does to make them happy. Also, who doesn't love a good aesthetic feed though?

12. Being at Home

There is no space I love more than my room and being at home. It's just the best feeling in the world to live and be present somewhere that brings you peace and security. So even though I love travelling and I enjoyed the years I lived away from home and my parents, it's the best feeling after a night out to have people at home waiting for you to make sure you are safe- and of course, if you work late, when there are leftovers in the fridge. I'll always be grateful for this feeling of happiness I get when I'm home.