An Open Letter To My Little Sister

An Open Letter To My Little Sister

Whether Biological, Step or Half
5

Hey sis,

I know this summer has been amazing. You and I have spent so much quality time together that I can't remember a time where we didn't get along. Soon, I'll be off to college and I won't see you for a while. So here are some lessons, big sister to little.

Don't let that boy try and bug you. Focus on your friends, they're the ones who will be there for you all the time. Plus, who needs boys at your age anyway? Let yourself learn who you are. That's going to be more important down the road.

Stop worrying about everything. You're beautiful and amazing the way you were made. You have all of the potential in the world, don't waste it by worrying all the time. You are 100% the most amazing you there is. So don't ruin it by changing things you simply can't.

Look around. There are so many opportunities in this lifetime. Look around for yours, look for what you want and what you want to do. You may feel like you have all the time in the world, but life goes by in a flash. You'll be in high school soon, and that's going to be the fastest 4 years of your life.

Don't learn everything from me. Please, if I know one thing, is that I have messed up. If you're going to learn anything from my mistakes (lord knows you know all of them), don't do them. You're such a bright, intelligent young lady. I'm not saying don't make mistakes, that'd be expecting too much out of you. Just be careful and cautious.

Love everyone around you until they deserve not to be loved. This is one thing that I wish I had done more often. I could've made so many more friends having this attitude. Befriend the kids you wish you could know better, hell, be friends with everyone. I know you love your little group of friends, but having friends outside of that group will benefit you so much.

Don't lose sight of who you are. I know who you are. From the deepest darkest secrets to the way you carry yourself at home. But somewhere down the line, we all have an identity crisis. We don't know who we are or who we want to be. Keep the child in you alive. She knows who you are and will always lead you the right direction.

Hug your mom, dad, stepmom, stepdad, siblings, stepsiblings. If there's one thing you know about me, I hug everyone. Maybe a little too much. It's only because I know that deep down my family appreciates it. It makes them feel important and lets them know that I love them. So hug your family. Wrap them up and tell them you love them.

Call me. If you ever need anything. If you need to rant about the dumb boy in your science class, or if you need to rant about a situation with your friends or family. I'm here for you. I know our family can get overwhelming, but they love you. So call me. If you miss me, if you need a friend. I'm your big sister, it's what I'm here for.

I love you more than life itself. You are the light of so many lives. Keep being your spunky, fun, outgoing self. It'll get you far.