To My Little Sister Leaving For College

To My Little Sister, As She Leaves For College

Soak it all in.

1275
Lindsey Brady

When I left home for college three years ago, I remember feeling a lot of different things. I was excited, nervous, anxious, and a little sad to be leaving my family five hours away from me. I was lucky enough to fall in love with the same college as my older sister, and having her on campus with me was a huge relief coming in. But now, it is my little sister's turn to leave home. She has chosen to create her own path and attend a different university than me and my older sister. While I am sad that she will not be around all the time, I could not be any prouder.

Being a big sister is not an easy task. You always want the best for your siblings no matter what, and when you are older, you feel a little bit of responsibility in making sure they are always OK. As an older sister, by far the hardest pill to swallow is realizing that although you mean well and want to help your siblings, they do not always need it. I've seen this with my little sister now, and it is harder than I thought it would be.

Roll Tide!

As much as I hate to admit it, I know my little sister is going to be just fine without me. I have gotten to watch her grow into the strong, beautiful, selfless, and carefree young woman that she is, and that is why I am so confident in her ability to succeed. It is not easy for me to let go and accept that she might not need me anymore, but I am hopeful that she knows I am just one FaceTime or call away, no matter what. I was there for her on her first days of preschool, middle school, junior high, and high school, and it is a very bittersweet feeling knowing that I will not be there for the biggest "first day" of her life.

To my little sister, my best friend, and my rock — have the time of your life. Stay up late talking with your roommates, never miss out on an opportunity to do something you love, and spend your time making memories that will last forever. Skip some classes (only when it's totally necessary), spend your money when the experience is worth it, have fun, meet your best friends, fall in love -- do whatever your heart desires. College is not always easy, but it has been the best three years of my life so far, and I know you are going to thrive.

To all the big sisters out there watching their little sisters (or brothers) go off to college somewhere they will not be, have faith in the person that they are, and know that they are going to be amazing. I know I do.