To The Little Sister I Always Wanted

To The Little Sister I Always Wanted

You came out of the blue.

654
To The Little Sister I Always Wanted
Samantha Jolly

I’ve always wanted a little sister; someone who I could teach to do their hair and makeup, give them advice on boys, and steal their clothes. I wanted someone who would remind me what I was like at her age and make me wonder if this is how I truly acted at that age.

I begged my mom for a little sister. Having an older brother was fine, we are civil, but I felt like I was always missing that feeling of having a little sister, someone to bond with. She never went for it; she did want 3 kids, I ruined that with not sleeping through the night until age 2.

I guess I never realized that I would get a little sister after meeting my best friend. The closer I got to my best friend, the closer I became with her family, especially her little sister. It was gradual at first, but over time, we too formed a bond that is just as close and mine and her big sister.

I never imagined I would feel so protective over this person, who is not even my own blood. But here I am, wondering if she’s OK and how school is going for her. She makes me proud when she tells me about her accomplishments. She has a lot going for her, and I just want to see her succeed.

I finally have a little sister who lets me do her hair for dances and gossips with me about boys. We have movie nights and go shopping together, I’m pretty sure we hang out more than I hang out with her older sister. But I don’t look down on her, I don’t treat her as if she were a child, because she’s not. I’ve watched her grow up to become a wonderful young woman, who found herself in the world.

It’s amazing to me that after years of telling my mom I wanted a little sister, I finally have one. She may not be blood, but that doesn’t matter. She knows I would do anything for her, and that’s all that matters.