Little Mix: The Next Generation Of Girl Power

For too long the Spice Girls and Destiny's Child stood alone in the pop music scene.

117
Fan Lexikon

For too long the Spice Girls and Destiny's Child stood alone in the pop music scene. Sure, we would have girl bands pop up here and there, but often times they'd release one song and then they'd fall back to their cult followers to never be seen or heard of again.

In the past few years, that has changed. Bands like Fifth Harmony have started to reincarnate the beautiful reign of girl bands. That's great. If there is anything that the music industry needs it is more women with real talent.

The problem is that many of these girl bands focus on one thing. Boys. Boys and why girls should focus their whole lives on them. While there is nothing wrong in having a crush, a boyfriend, celebrity crush, husband or whatever else, there is something wrong in prioritizing a male over yourself.

Many fans of these girl bands would argue that I'm making assumptions or I just hate those bands. That's not true in the slightest. I think the songs are catchy and they're fun to listen to. But I think they are sending the wrong message. With lyrics that suggest a girl is only good for waiting around for her man to come home at night so they can sleep together, the only message a young teenager is getting is that she's not worth much more if that's what her favorite singers are doing.

In today's world, it's important that we validate the importance of women getting educations, being independent, having leadership roles and many other ideals. Instead, these girl bands focus on exposing their bodies, showing off their expansive slang vocabulary and their ability to degrade themselves.

That's why we need Little Mix. And more bands like them.

Little Mix is a girl band based from England. They were put together on the X-Factor UK in 2011. They became the first girl group to ever win the singing competition, and they have proven themselves worthy of that win. The girl group has four platinum albums, including one album, Get Weird, which went double platinum.

The album accolades are well deserved as the group focuses on empowering women of all ages, races, shapes, backgrounds and aspirations instead of telling them that their best shot in life is a man.

This isn't to say that the girls of Little Mix, which include Jesy Nelson, Perrie Edwards, Leigh-Anne Pinnock and Jade Thirlwall, are anti-man. Edwards famously got engaged to and broke up with Zayn Malik, formerly of One Direction. Nelson was also previously engaged before ending it late in 2016.

The girls promote healthy relationships, and walking away from relationships that put women, or men, in negative environments. Their songs in no way bash relationships, but they address them in ways that make both people in the relationship seem equal. Even songs like "A.D.I.D.A.S.", which is about the physical aspects of a relationship, describe an even playing field in relationships. Neither the man or the woman is insulted or degraded, and the girls also clarify that they won't be put on a backburner because there is always someone who will be better for them.

Aside from promoting strong women, the ladies of Little Mix are role models for all girls. The band is rich with diversity, and none of the girls are afraid to be proud of who they are and where they came from. Little Mix supports equal rights, acceptance of all and self-confidence. A mixture that is hard to find in today's music scene.

The girls have always been open supporters of the LGBTQ community. Performing for, attending and posting LGBTQ positive events. Little Mix has never once failed to be a symbol of hope for any person who isn't sure what's going to happen to them in the future. All of their songs leave you feeling as though you are the must important and unique you that could ever be, and that's a great thing.

Each individual Mixer, the ever-growing group of people who support the band, is able to find something about Jesy, Jade, Leigh-Anne and Perrie that they can relate to. All four girls have set examples that show girls of all ages that you can work hard and play hard without putting your well being in danger, neglecting your values or putting yourself down.

This girl band is doing something that hasn't been seen since the Spice Girls and Destiny's Child. They are embracing diversity with unparalleled pride. They are speaking up for all women and defending their right to independence, strength and happiness. They are making the voices of those who are often ignored be heard.

Destiny's Child and the Spice Girls introduced the world to the importance of girl power, and their legends have and continue to live on in our day-to-day culture. It's time now that another band of strong women has the opportunity to positively influence our lives.

Little Mix is doing what needs to be done for the world...bringing back postivity. It's time for you to do what needs to be done for their message to be heard. Check them out.