To My Not So Little Brother, I Am So Proud Of The Young Man You Are Becoming

My built in best friend is getting older...

735
Kennedy Paredes

My dear Bubby,

Where do I even begin? From the moment I first held you, you've had me wrapped around your finger. I never knew that someone's presence could have such an impact on me. Mom and Dad love to remind me of the time that they announced you were on the way to everyone at a family gathering, and I got so upset that I ran into and locked myself in their bedroom, but we can just forget that little detail! The first time you smiled at me, I knew you were going to be my best friend. I mean, don't get me wrong, we most definitely had our struggles through childhood. But every single time, we would walk away and then 5 minutes later we would be back, hanging out with one another.

You have taught me many things throughout the years, some you don't even realize. I learned how to change a baby's diaper because of you. I learned that being shy is ok, and just because someone doesn't talk as much as others, doesn't mean they don't have important opinions, or thoughts they want to voice. You also taught me what it means to be a good big sister. Hopefully, when I have my own children someday, I can use our experiences in childhood to foster loving relationships and help them learn from the mistakes that I made as your big sister because the Lord knows I made plenty.

The more that I think back on growing up with you, the more my heart swells thinking of all the hardships you have overcome in your life. From losing Papaw when we were both so young, and losing Grandma and Grandmother Great less than a year ago, to all of the emergency room trips because one of us did something boneheaded to injure ourselves, you have taught me how to be strong. To quote the Phil Collins' song 'You'll Be In My Heart,' "for one so small, you seem so strong", and words have never rung more true, although I don't know if I would consider you small anymore, seeing as how you tower over me. You have always exhibited the strength of someone much farther beyond your years, and I can only hope you continue to grow in your strength.

You are getting older now, and it's bittersweet. I am so proud of the young man you are becoming, but every now and again, I get nostalgic on the times when we were both younger, and the weight of the world hadn't yet touched our shoulders. You are becoming a young man now, though, and I can't even string enough words together to express how proud of you I am. You are doing phenomenal at one of the best 4 high schools in the entire country. You are driving (although I may have been a crappy driver when I first started out, I'm still not getting in a car with you because SCARY) and learning all new responsibilities in life. I can only hope that you take advantage of every opportunity that presents itself to you because I want you to make the most of the life you have been given. We only live once, and I am so glad that I get to spend this one life here on Earth with you as my brother. I love you lots, my Marshall Man.

Love you long time,

Sissy