12 Literary Ladies That Deserve Our Thanks

Notes of thanks to the most inspiring girls in the world of books

36

Theodore Roosevelt once said, "I am a part of everything that I have read." I relate to this. A lot. I can't imagine what my life would be like if I didn't grow up a bookworm. Reading under the covers with a flashlight hours after I was told to go to bed, reading on a hammock in my yard, or on long car rides were some of the most memorable moments in my first 18 years of life. Before I could even actually read, I formed strong connections with strong, beautiful, and caring female characters from my favorite books. These girls and women all have qualities that I look up to tremendously, and they prove that not all role models actually have to exist in real life. Sometimes I get down on myself for not being as powerful as these ladies, but for the most part, they have helped me appreciate the qualities that make me, me. So here is a list that I've compiled of the 15 most kick-ass ladies from my childhood reads to today, and why I am thankful for each and every one of them for being there for me in my heart.

1. Madeline

Dear Madeline,

Let's start from the beginning, in an old house in Paris, covered in vines. There were definitely many stories that sparked my love for reading, but this one definitely sticks out in my mind as one of the strongest in developing that love. Thank you for showing me from a young age how important it is to be brave in difficult situations. Though at the time I thought it would be the worst thing in the world to get my appendix out like you did, I really admired your strength through the entire thing. Also, thank you for not being afraid to be different. Sometimes it's hard to live in a world where everyone is in "two straight lines" and has to act a certain way. Thank you for showing me that it's okay to separate myself from those lines. On a much less deep level, thanks for showing my pre-school self that red hair is cool (my pre-school self was super self-conscious about it).

2. Junie B. Jones

Dear Junie,

Thank you for being the most memorable character from the chapter books of primary school. I remember reading your many stories, just dying of laughter at your crazy antics and shenanigans. You taught me valuable lessons of the difference between doing right and wrong, but also that a little mischief is okay sometimes. I appreciate your sassy and fun nature, and I love how you were so undeniably yourself throughout your whole series. You taught me from an early age the importance of embracing even your weirdest qualities.

3. Charlotte

Dear Charlotte,

Salutations! I have probably read your story more times than any other. From the first time I heard it when my second grade teacher read it to me and my classmates, I admired so many things about you. Thank you for teaching the importance of undying love for others. Your huge heart that shed so much love to Wilbur and all the other animals on the farm inspired me to shed just as much love. Thank you for showing me how hard work and dedication can get you really far. The amount of hours you tirelessly put into writing messages of praise about Wilbur encouraged me to put that much effort into everything I do. Finally, thank you for showing me how such a small thing (like second-grade me) could make such a huge difference in the world.

4. Anne Shirley

Dear Anne,

Thank you for showing me the true value of being yourself in everything that you do. Thank you for showing me that it's okay to feel insecure about yourself and still thrive in the world. Thank you for showing me that girls are so powerful and are 100% able to stand up to anyone who makes them feel uncomfortable. Also, thank you for sparking a sense of adventure in me.

5. Nancy Drew

Dear Nancy,

I owe a lot to you. Thank you for giving me and my grandma such a strong bond. It's amazing how your stories translate to two people over 60 years apart. We spent so much time discussing your adventures. Thank you for allowing me to embrace my intelligence and to believe that my mind is capable of anything. Thank you for showing me how important it is to be strong for other people, and how to be determined in order to get a job done. Thank you also for your strong friendships with Beth and George. This definitely taught me how important it is to always have wonderful girl friends by your side to fight any sort of crime together.

6. Mia Thermopolis

Dear Mia,

Thank you for entertaining me tremendously throughout the sixth grade. Your stories made me laugh so much. Thank you for helping me embrace my awkwardness and weirdness. I really appreciate that you weren't afraid of being different and that you didn't change who you were on the inside even after you found out you were a princess. You taught me the importance of staying true to who you are, even in the most absurd circumstances.

7. Hermione Granger

Dear Hermione,

I will forever be obsessed with you. Thank you for teaching me the importance of studying really hard, because your hard work benefited you in so many ways throughout the series. Thank you for showing me that intelligence, wit, and cleverness are some of the most admirable qualities in a person, and that all girls should strive toward this excellence. Thanks to you, I am inspired to become the "brightest witch of my age." Thank you for showing me to always to keep a level head in stressful or dangerous situations. Also, thanks for teaching me to not let the muggles (or purebred scumbags like Draco Malfoy) get me down.

8. Katniss Everdeen

Dear Katniss,

Thank you for showing me the importance of sacrificing yourself for the sake of others. Your willingness to participate in the games to save your sister was so admirable. Thank you for showing me how important it is to protect those who can't protect themselves, like Rue. Thank you for being so strong and badass throughout your entire story, and teaching girls around the world that one girl could make a huge difference in the world. We can all be our own mockingjays in our lives, so thanks for showing me that.

9. The Gals of Pretty Little Liars

Dear Spencer, Emily, Aria, and Hanna,

Thank you showing me how strong friendships can get you through anything, and those bonds have the power to conquer any evil. Through you guys I really learned how important it is to have supportive and loving girls by my side. Spencer, thank you for showing me that it's okay to not achieve academic perfection and that it's okay to have flaws. Emily, thank you for showing me that it's okay to be different. Aria, thank you for allowing me to embrace my creative side. Hanna, thank you for showing me that being insincere with myself or my body is never a sign of weakness.

10. Hazel Grace Lancaster

Dear Hazel Grace,

I could not make a master-list of the most impactful female book characters without including somebody from my high school (and lets be honest, college too) obsession with John Green books. Thank you for showing me how to be strong even when it seems like the worst thing has happened. Thank you for showing me that love is infinite, and doesn't go away when somebody leaves this world. Thank you for telling me how important it is to embrace everyday, and to live life to the abshttps://muse.theodysseyonline.com/admin#olute fullest.

11. Celia Bowen (The Night Circus)

Dear Celia,

Thank you for showing me how important it is to stand up to people, even ones you love, for the sake of what is right. Also, thank you for standing up for the people that you love, and thank you for showing me what true love is really like.

12. Sarah Starzynski

Dear Sarah,

Thank you for showing tremendous strength throughout your entire journey throughout the Jewish Holocaust. You taught me the importance of being brave and mentally strong in the worst situations.

There you have it, friends. There are so many bomb literary ladies to look up to out there, and I definitely look up to each and every one of them.