11 Thank-Yous To The Things That Hurt But Made Me Stronger

You may have broken me or annoyed me, but I'm still thankful for you.

140

Scrolling through Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter during Thanksgiving time, all you see is posts of family and friends with the caption "Thankful!" or "Blessed!" Sure, we are overwhelmingly blessed and thankful for all of our loved ones, but I have to break away from the monotony for a minute.

Thank you to the drivers that pull out in front of me, slam on their breaks, and swerve in my lane. You remind me that I am not invincible and to practice safe driving. You also remind me of the type of driver I DO NOT want to be.

Thank you to the woman that cut in front of my mom and I in the line at Old Navy. You gave me more time to flirt with the cute cashier.

Thank you to my celebrity crushes. We're never EVER going to meet. But thank you for teaching me how to dream big, even though it's unreasonably big.

Thank you to my broken MAC eye shadow. You really were not a good color on me. I'm sad that you broke, but it was for the best for the both of us.

Thank you to my anxiety. You have kept me out of some dangerous situations, even though you frustrate me at times.

Thank you to my ex-boyfriends. You give me plenty of stories to rant about during girls' nights, and you showed me everything I don't want in a relationship. I am so much more independent, thanks to you.

Thank you to the mean girls in high school. You, and memories of you, make me appreciate my girls SO MUCH MORE. And sure, maybe you broke my confidence, but you made me that much stronger.

Thank you to the teachers that frustrated me the most. There weren't many, but the ones that did taught me that I can still learn so much from those that I don't see eye to eye with. You also helped me strengthen my ability to respect even those that I disagree with.

Thank you to those that hurt my brother. You reminded me how much I love and care about my brother, no matter how much he pushes my buttons.

Thank you to my ex-best-friends. You were exactly what I needed at that point in time, and while we may not see eye to eye anymore, thank you for being my person at that time, and getting me through life then. You also taught me some killer hair and makeup tricks.

Thank you to pain and rejection. I am so so so powerful and strong because of you.