A List Of Words, Acronyms And Phrases I First Said Ironically That Now I Can’t Stop Saying IRL

lol @ me.

11
Boldomatic.com

One of the characteristics I love about language is that it is constantly evolving over time. Current pop culture has dictated the heavy usage of text-lingo and acronyms in everyday, vocal conversation. What we refer to as ****posting, memes, and all around terrible, morbid Internet humor have resolved me to laughing at poor grammar and dad jokes. Here are all the things I say as jokes that I can’t seem to seriously un-say.

1. Same.

Doesn’t matter what it is. Could be a baby crying, could be a rock, could be a dog on the street. Same. I identify with all these things emotionally and mentally. “Same” transcends all concepts of matter.

Same.

2. fr

FR stands for “for real." Except you’ll here me habitually say “Eff Are."

Example:

Friend: Are you going to the party tonight?

Me: fr, fr, man.

Friend: Sweet, see you there!

3. Me

Points at dog poop on the street. ME.

Hears someone sigh. ME.

Gets an A on a test. ME.

We are one.

4. Lit

“Lit”, deriving from the well-known colloquial phrase of something being so good/so hot that it’s on fire. Being “lit” doesn’t even carry its initial implication of being under the influence in a party setting anymore. For me, “lit” just means it’s awesome as hell.

Video of a cat licking a flower? It’s lit.

Remembered my Social Security Number by heart? It’s lit.

In bed by 8 p.m. on a Sunday? It’s lit.

5. AF

(See also: As Hell)

AF basically means that (insert noun here) is as (insert adjective here) as can possibly be.

I don’t even say anything is anything as **** anymore. I literally say:

“Aye Eff” or “Aff”. Basically, AF.

That’s rude AF.

That’s cute AF.

I’m hungry AF.

6. As hell

(Synonymous to: AF)

“As hell “means as (insert adjective here) as (insert noun here) can possibly be.

Anywhere that you can put “AF”, you can put “as hell”.

7. TBH

To Be Honest I just speak each individual letter out loud when I want to say “To Be Honest”. Furthermore, I probably say TBH even when I’m not even being honest and I just want to emphasis my point. Notice a trend: anywhere an acronym is mentioned, just spell out the acronym where and when you want to use it in casual conversation.

It’s just what you do. Ask the Internet.

8. @

When you want to tag a friend online in a post, you @ them. When you want to bring them into your face-to-face conversation or grab their attention, you say “At so-and-so”. @ Odyssey readers, please tell me I’m not the only one who does this.

Speaking of which...

9. PLS/pls

Said aloud as “pleehz”. This stands for “please," but voice inflection and capitalization when written will determine the level of urgency in your request.

Examples:

pls buy me a donut if you’re going to dunkin later.

(A casual, non-dire request between friends.)

Mom, PLS bring me toilet paper--there isn’t any in the bathroom and I. JUST. POOPED.

(You are probably screaming through the bathroom door. This is life or death.)

pLS TELL ME YOU’RE KIDDING.

(You started off saying this calmly but tHEN CAME TO THE REALIZATION THAT THIS IS INSANE AND YOU CAN’T HANDLE IT!!!)

10. IDC

“I Don’t Care”. Or maybe I do? Or maybe I am indifferent? I am not sure…

11. LOL/lol

Similarly to PLS, the timeless “Laughing Out Loud” now has a variation of meaning depending on voice volume and caps lock usage. You proclaim it as “Elle Oh Elle” or “lullz” if you’re feeling flirty fresh. It can mean that you are literally laughing your butt off, that you don’t know what else to say, you’re embarrassed, you’re angry, or that you’re bored.

Just like supercalifragilisticexpialidocous, LOL could mean anything.

12. IDK

I Don’t Know. Even when I do know, IDK.

So yeah, tbh idk if any of you experience the same thing fr irl.

But like, idc lol.