The Odds Of Finding A Job In Legal Cannabis Are Higher Than You'd Think
Drugs

The Likelihood Of Finding A Job In The Legal Cannabis Industry Is Higher Than You Think

It's not the most conventional industry, but it's growing to be a large source of post-graduation jobs.

92

It's no secret it can be hard to find a job, especially one with competitive pay and good benefits. If you're a college student looking to begin a lucrative career, keep in mind that some industries have less demand for employees than others.

One area that's creating tons of new jobs is in the legal cannabis and CBD industry. The weed industry added 64,389 jobs in 2018 alone, bringing the total number of jobs in the legal marijuana industry to 269,000. That's a lot of jobs that didn't exist just a decade or two before.

If you want to take advantage of this new industry boom, here are a few tips to keep in mind. First, you're going to want to know the right position for you as you search for jobs that may or may not help you utilize your degree. Working in the weed industry can mean anything from ringing up customer purchases to overseeing bud growth firsthand. Consider which positions are best suited to your interests and skills.

You can be anything such as a trimmer, budtender, dispensary manager, edibles chef or master grower. While being a trimmer is considered an entry-level position, being a master grower requires a background in botany or horticulture because you have to plant crops and manage the health of the plants. Plus, there are so many positions in between that require different levels of knowledge of the industry and plant itself.

You're also going to want to search for jobs where it's legal to sell marijuana. Marijuana is not legal in all states, meaning you need to know where you can find a position in the weed industry.

The areas with the most jobs will be those that have legalized pot both medically and recreationally. This includes states like California, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, and Maine. Then, you should concentrate on the areas with the most demand for workers.

According to collected data, most marijuana job openings are in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Denver, Seattle, and Miami. If you don't live in one of these areas or a similar city, you should be prepared to relocate if you're offered a position.

Applying for a job in the weed market is the same as applying for any other position. Start by searching on job boards and company websites for openings. When it comes time to fill out an application, you'll need a resume with your relevant skills, training, and experience. It's also recommended to include a cover letter that highlights why you're a good fit for the position.

Some find it helpful to use a recruiter, such as the Colorado-based H2 Talent, which specializes in the marijuana sector. Another popular recruiting agency is Vangst, which cites a 690% growth in job listings between 2017 and 2018 due to the rising need for employees in the legal marijuana market.

The networking opportunities that come with the legal marijuana industry are a huge plus as well. The opportunities seem never-ending. States with legal marijuana have already discovered the potential for new products, including foods, drinks, lotions, oils, and other consumables.

The best way to learn about and get involved with these opportunities is to network. Get out of your comfort zone and meet other people involved in the industry.

Start by searching for local and regional networking events you can attend. The larger the gathering, the more connections you'll be able to make. Major conferences with networking opportunities include CannaCon, the New England Cannabis Convention and the World Medical Cannabis Conference & Expo.

You can also use social media, including LinkedIn and Facebook, to join industry groups and stay up-to-date about the latest trends and advancements.

If you've already worked in the industry, it'll be easier to land a new position — but if you have little to no experience, don't lose hope. The key is to draw a line between the desired job and your abilities.

For example, if you used to work as a bartender, you have experience adhering to strict ID regulations and spotting over-intoxicated customers. If you've worked in a nursery — the green kind — you know how to grow and maintain plants. It's also helpful to highlights skills such as adaptability and willingness to learn.

Take the skills and knowledge you've already acquired and show employers how they're transferrable to the position you wish to take over.

Even though it's already big, the cannabis industry is expected to grow, with global legal cannabis spending predicted to reach $57 billion by 2027. If you want to leverage your skills for a career in a growing market, now is the time to start looking for the right position.

Whether you have a background in plants or you like helping customers, there are plenty of open positions in the weed market you can take advantage of.