Like..?

Like..?

It's time to stop.

45
Like..?

Think back to your last class, where you would have more than definitely had another sorority girl besides yourself. Of course she is going to answer any questions she can - we are all scholars. One thing that you may or may not have noticed though is how often she uses the word "like."

I would honestly hope that you do though, because it is an epidemic. 

"Like, you know how the author said that he, like, loved nature and like everything outside? He was like trying to portray like that he was like an environmentalist. I like, think that's really awesome cause like I want to be one too cause like that's my major!" 

I used the word "like" nine times in those three sentences. Honestly, anything is better than that dreaded word. Use "I mean" or.. Better yet, just actually say what you have to and let that be that. There is no reason for "like" to be used that much, ever. 

When you Google the definition of the word "like" there are several ways you can use it including: a preposition, a conjunction, a noun, an adjective, and an adverb. However all the meanings are quite similar. The definition is: having the same characteristics or qualities as; similar to. 

So yes, use it when saying "Ashely is like Bentley because they both love Chipotle." Don't use when saying "I, like, love dogs." Or "Like, she was just being rude. I mean like, rude!" Another time to not use the word, besides almost never, is when you're about to tell someone what someone else said. "And she was like,…" No. She said. That's it.

Play the game where you count how many times someone says a certain word (like) when they are speaking. My roommate one time counted 146 "likes" in a 5 minute speech. If you're to that point, see a doctor. 

Soon enough, we will be graduating. We will be forced to take the world in our hands and when we get to that point, we must be able to speak properly. If every other word is "like" no one will ever want to hire us. We must grow up and start speaking as adults. 

Do yourself a favor and correct the situation now. We wouldn't want our children's first word to be "like." Imagine how embarrassing that will be. 

Please, start making yourself into the woman you want to be. The woman who isn't afraid to go after the promotion or internship she wants, one who asks the hard questions, one who knows who she is and what she stands for. Don't be the one who cannot speak a proper sentence. Straighten your back, push your hair back, and begin fighting the urge to say "like."