Life With Brothers, As Told By A Loving Sister

Growing up with brothers has shaped me so much as an individual.

19
Kaitlin Davis

“Brother: a person who is there when you need him; someone who picks you up when you fall; a person who sticks up for you when no one else will; a brother is always a friend” –Unknown

Let’s just admit it. Brothers are such a blessing in so many different ways, but we fuss and fight with one another. I am lucky enough to have not one, but two older brothers who are extremely strong men in many different ways. They inspire me and make me want to be as strong as they are for themselves, their families and their friends. They are some of the most hardworking, compassionate, yet goofy people that I know and I can’t imagine growing up alongside a better duo then them. Growing up with them was interesting, to say the least. Seven years separate me and my oldest brother, while 16 months separate me and my second oldest brother. However, regardless of our age gaps, we had our moments of drama and fun. The majority of the drama surrounding our relationship was based on me tattling on one of them. They were rebellious of course and I liked to “color in the lines.” However, I have fond memories of my brothers incorporating my Barbie dolls and accessories into their G.I. Joe wars that they would have set up in our living room. Going anywhere with them two was always a blast, from the grocery store to school and other places, they made it a blast. I remember the power going on one night and sitting with my oldest brother in his room next to candles while we played board games to pass the time. I am grateful that my father was such a great example to these two men in my life. He taught them to be strong, caring, funny, compassionate, selfless and responsible, just like he was.

Growing up with brothers has shaped me so much as an individual, more than I would ever think possible. They provided me with a different perspective in life in that they always told me what they would think which showed me what a typical male might also think in any given situation. They pushed my limits in athletic activities and taught me how to play to the best of my ability. They help me grow a thicker skin than I originally had and they taught me to stand up for what I believe in. They taught me to never take life too seriously and that having fun is much more important. They provided me with so many laughs over the years and they are the reason for the sense of humor I have today. It’s true that brothers are protective. If someone hurts me, both brothers are there to help pick me up, but they have no problem telling the other person to back away. My brothers are just a phone call away for whatever issue I need solving when I am having a stressful day when I don’t know what to do and are always there to talk to whenever I need or want to. They believe in my dreams and celebrate my accomplishments. They raise me up when I am feeling low and help me see the positive in anything. In addition to all those things they have done for me, they have shown me how a man should act and what I should want in a husband. Someone who is strong, loyal and who is willing to sacrifice for his family.

Brothers are the best kind of medicine that will get on your nerves on any given day, but will also be your best friend every day. They are the glue that holds you together and makes you see things differently. I am so grateful I have the two brothers that I have and I know wouldn’t trade them for the world. Sure, we have our ups and downs, but at the end of the day, we have each other’s backs. Us girls with brothers are a lucky bunch and I guarantee you we all have some stories from growing up with brothers!