What Netflix's "Atypical" Taught Me About Life On The Autistic Spectrum

Everyone needs a Sam Gardner in their life.

139
https://www.netflix.com/na/title/80117540

As someone with a short attention span, you can guess that I am a serial rerun watcher. A few years ago, I found myself finishing a whole season of a new show in one day. I'm usually too indecisive to choose a new series, but when my AppleTV froze on a "trending" show while I was skimming Netflix's options, I was suddenly captivated by a trailer for a just-released series: "Atypical".

Sam Gardner, a teenage boy with autism, leans on his therapist, Julia (who he also happens to have a major crush on), to help him navigate through the challenges of everyday life. He is determined to be self-sufficient and does almost everything neurotypicals do: Sam works, navigates the ups and downs of his high school girlfriend, and applies to college.

In my opinion, education is one of the best ways to combat ignorance. People, especially children, tend to turn their heads at people who are different from them or make fun of what they don't understand- and that's why this show is so important. From proving his independence to finding unique ways to express his feelings, Sam is a great example of how those on the spectrum can lead normal lives and should be treated equally. Here are five, key things this hilarious and heartwarming show taught me.

1. More schools should have silent-dances.

People with autism are usually hypersensitive to stimulation such as loud music and bright lights, and can shut down when they experience sensory overload. In one episode, Sam's girlfriend, Paige, convinces the school to turn their dance into a "silent dance" where the lights are dimmed and the students wear headphones so that Sam won't feel overwhelmed by the dance. Students were able to enjoy themselves, and it created a more inclusive environment.

2. People on the spectrum may not always pick up on social cues or show affection, but they have feelings just like anyone else.

Sam is overwhelmingly thoughtful and compassionate, but he does not always know how to let that show. Giving hugs or receiving affection may not be his specialty, but don't let that fool you- he has one of the kindest hearts.

3. Simple gestures often take a lot of practice.

When Sam was trying to find a girlfriend, he worked with his therapist on ways to attract girls. One of the ways included smiling, which he goes a bit overboard with. With more practice and relaxation techniques, Sam was able to achieve success in his quest.

4. Family support is everything. 

Although Sam's younger sister, Casey, picks on him jokingly and sometimes causes chaos around the house, she is one of Sam's biggest supporters at heart. Not only does she always provide top-notch advice, but she will drop anything to aid her brother in times of need.

5. Sometimes it's the small things that bring comfort. 

In Season 3, When Sam attempts to dorm at his new college, he insists on opening and closing the door a certain amount of times. Although this seems like an arbitrary and small act, to Sam, it is imperative that he inspect this feature of his new living environment.

Overall, Atypical is the series that I didn't know I needed. Everyone needs to get on board with this because it honestly has so much to offer. The new season just came out, and I am anxiously awaiting another!