Life Moves On...

To the boy who broke my heart:

I never thought you’d be the one to break my heart. You always told me that was the last thing you wanted to do and, naturally, I trusted you. You said you didn’t want to treat me like all the other ones, but you went ahead and did just that. I thought you’d be different. You said you’d be different.

It took a toll on both those around me, and of course, me. I was not myself. I was angry. I was mean. I was frustrated. I was confused. I was distracted. Not a day went by where I didn’t ask myself what I did wrong. Everyone told me that, “boys suck and it’s not your fault that he can’t see how amazing you are”. Although very true, I could not lie to myself and say this was all your fault. While I kept trying to tell myself that I deserve so much more, I had to admit part of the reason I ended up so heartbroken was because I fully trusted what you said when I should have been more cautious. I needed to be looking out for myself. I should have put myself first, not you.

As people say, only time can mend the heart. It sounds cliché, but it’s true. The more time that passed the more I realized my own self-worth. I should not be defined by whether you want to be with me and for that I say thanks.

Life moves on and so have I. I am not angry with you. I do not hate you. I want to say thank you. I want to say thank you for showing me how strong I am. I want to say thank you for making me realize that I deserve better. I also want to say thank you for all the good times we had together. You were the best friend I could have ever asked for.